GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this is probably a new one for you. When we are riding scenic area, such as our upcoming Newfoundland trip, my wife rolls up her sheepskin and sits on it to be able to see over my head instead of always looking around me. I ordered the Airhawk Pillion and received it today. It isn't enough. The seat needs to be raised about 4". She suggested that we get more than one until I told her how much it cost. :shock: It's going back. Does anyone out there have any good suggestions? She's only 5'3" and I'm 6'1".

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
You could let her drive :)

Seriously, Just how much could one build up the passenger seat and still be safe?

·
Registered
344 Posts
You might consider just going to an upholsterer to custom cut a slab of thick seat cushion foam and have it covered to closely match the stock seat. Take a look in the phone book for a local car or boat upholstery shop to do something like this. Armrests and bungy cords should keep your wife on the high perch :D . Watch your center of gravity. Good luck!

2,732 Posts
Too tall in the saddle....

How about just letting her drive and you sit behind her? You would have a good 8" of viewing space over her helmet.....but seriously, I suppose the back of your neck gets pretty boring to look at after a while. Maybe a tattoo on your neck? Hey, I'm just trying to help solve your problem. I had a friend who's wife went with us to Canada once who read a book during the whole (or most of) trip. In the rain, she had a clear plastic bag over the book so she could keep reading...... :lol:

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Periscope?

My wife faces the same challenge. I suggested we use a rack to stretch her some but she was not cooperative. She would like to be able to see, but raising her up would make it hard to reach the passenger boards which are already raised up with the Rivco risers. Plus, going up would put her in the wind, even though we have a CB +4" shield-all the way up.

If anyone has good suggestions, we're listening, too.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
My wife just tells me to turn my head sideways....

That way she can see thru.......

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, she tells me I'm a pain...but she can't see through me :lol: I'm thinking something custom made might be the answer, or perhaps something like a lower cushion off a piece of equipment, like a dozer or backhoe..... keep the suggestions coming.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
This may help

In all seriousness, why not get a hemerhoid pillow? You would need something to fill the inner portion where the "hole" is, but it is deflatable, so it takes up very little space when not in use.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
In this case, it is not a hemroid pillow.

it is a HEROID pillow......

and, Yes, I'm ducking and hiding.....

·
Registered
476 Posts
Oregon aero uses viscoelastic foam in their seats. Hartco uses the same product. If you give Hartco a call they may be able to help you. Very good company with good products.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Just move

I have done this by accident I guess ? But it works out pretty good. I kinda ride a little off to the right side, when we're traveling the super slab or just puttsing. That way she see's a bit better and when there is a nice look see i just move out of the way for a bit. Works for us.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WOW!!! :shock: I checked Oregon and I thought Airhawk was pricey. I'm going to check Hartco also. I'm thinking I might just check a local upholstery shop too and see what they can come up with. Thanks for all your input and wisecracks :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts