GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always thought a pad to protect your boot from the shift lever was a good idea. I've never tried it though. Over the years, I've just accepted that all my boots will eventually get a wear spot on top of the left boot. Does anyone use one of these?

Attachments

·
Registered
529 Posts
Not me. I would be concerned it would come loose or get caught in my shifter somehow.

What do you do with it if you walk a couple blocks?

If it requires you to put on and take off on a regular basis I know I would not do it.

After 5yrs my Danner boots still do not show any wear from shifting, but I am good about treating the leather regularly.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
851 Posts
I had a local cobbler sew a very small piece a leather over the established wear mark on my favorite boots. They are just a pair of ankle high Cabela's hiking boots. The "fix" cost $15 or so.:thumbup:

·
Banned
435 Posts
My boots have a visual wear mark from the shifter, but I’ve never had any boots actually rub through.

I wouldn’t want to add any additional thickness to that area, either. It would make it more difficult to slip my foot under the shifter, and could affect the “feel”. Not to mention the potential safety issue if it gets stuck.

I think this is a solution looking for a problem that doesn’t exist.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
My riding boots came from the factory with a shift patch installed. Yes my work boots are clearly marked from the shift lever but that doesn’t bother me at all.
Same here...

·
Registered
626 Posts
Extremely comfortable. I wore them top work to break them in all winter. I am on my feet most of the day for my job. If I was to buy them again I think I might go for the lower.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Reading this makes me appreciate the heel-toe shifter on the Kury floor board kit even more.

Reactions: Capt. Bob

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've installed a "rubber shifter sock" on my last three bikes and now have one on my Gold Wing. No shifter toe issues on boots/shoes. Has worked great for me for years, no problems, low cost, don't even notice visually and no impact on shifting or feel.. Amazon sells several brands.

Here's an example: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XWY1MLH/ref=twister_B06XXG8GYG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

One tip if you decide to buy... cut a small slit in the bottom at the lowest level to ensure rain/water can easily escape. I use an exacto knife and make a small slit.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So far, the comments on the boot-toe protector mirror my thoughts which is why I've never bought one.

I think it's one of those things that seems like a good idea; but after you buy it, it winds up sitting in a drawer or box somewhere and you never actually use it.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
My thought is....and it may just be me....but just how stylish and fancy do riding boots have to be, to have to protect them from the shifter?
Oh well.... I'm not much into safety chrome either!:shrug:

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
460 Posts
I like the shifter rub look! My boots are for protection while riding not walking the runway. But then I'm kinda of a slob.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts