GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weather was decent this morning so I decided to ride the bike to a doctors appointment. Stopped at the stop sign, checking traffic, was just a fraction of a second from letting the clutch go and pulling out when a jackwipe in a cage booted me in the backside. He was trying to connect his Blue tooth to his phone, looked down, and bam. The bike came out in reasonably good shape with only the rear trim and lower rear air dam on the right saddlebag being damaged. As for me, no harm done, just really pissed off. The guy was an insurance agent if you can believe that, and got a first rate education in American slang, featuring not exclusively the "F" word, and many references to his heritage, IQ, sperm count, and the fact his parents should not breed. >:)

It's that time of year everyone! Time to grow a set of eyes in the back of your head. Ride safe and keep the shiny side up.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Weather was decent this morning so I decided to ride the bike to a doctors appointment. Stopped at the stop sign, checking traffic, was just a fraction of a second from letting the clutch go and pulling out when a jackwipe in a cage booted me in the backside. He was trying to connect his Blue tooth to his phone, looked down, and bam. The bike came out in reasonably good shape with only the rear trim and lower rear air dam on the right saddlebag being damaged. As for me, no harm done, just really pissed off. The guy was an insurance agent if you can believe that, and got a first rate education in American slang, featuring not exclusively the "F" word, and many references to his heritage, IQ, sperm count, and the fact his parents should not breed. >:)

It's that time of year everyone! Time to grow a set of eyes in the back of your head. Ride safe and keep the shiny side up.
Sorry..:frown2:

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. The upside is there was considerably more damage done to his wallet than me or my bike. By the time he pays the fines as well as the cost of my parts and labor, I'm out a half hour and some anger management issues, he's out about $500.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Glad to hear you're feeling OK, and hope you still feel OK in a few days when the adrenaline wears off.

Reactions: MountainRider

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Sorry to hear about you getting rear ended but glad it wasn't too serious.This BS about motorcycles getting rear ended is becoming much too frequent and you're one of the lucky ones who came away relatively in good shape. I hope nothing crops up in the coming days.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Governor Doug Ducey of AZ, just signed into law, a brand new bill here in AZ just yesterday morning to BAN all hands on phone stuff while DRIVING. Although it went into effect yesterday morning, all that anyone will receive from any officer, "should" they get stopped in the next year and a half, is a WARNING!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

The actual FINES won't start 'till 2021. Now, for the life of me, I cannot figure out, why they would postpone, the actual fines. I mean, unless you were born on Mars in the last DAY OR TWO, there's been news articles practically every single day, on just about every single news channel in America, where there's been some form of an accident or fatality due to cell phone usage while driving. What congressman/congresswoman/Senator/President etc. on this planet actually thinks its just fine to talk on or, manipulate a cell phone/text while driving? Especially since the statistics are building, every single day, that point to a drastic need to curtail the use of cell phones while driving.

I sure as heck don't want to turn this into any form of a political debate as, the monitors of this site will simply shut down the thread, if they think it'd out of line in terms of political correctness. But, the fact remains, in all reality, every single state in this country, needs severely strict laws governing the use of cell phones so we can not only cut back on incidents like the OP experienced but, if at all possible, eliminate the incidents. Dreaming I guess.
Scott

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
I hear you. I am as shocked as you are about the penalty delay. SMH over this. We all see the idiots every freaking day texting while driving. Or simply holding their phone in their hand while driving crap.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glad to hear you're feeling OK, and hope you still feel OK in a few days when the adrenaline wears off.
Yeah, I'm good. Went to the doctors and they were able to get me in for the appointment I missed. When the nurse took my vitals, my pulse rate was 49BPM and blood pressure was normal. I've always had a low pulse rate, so we're good.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Glad to hear you’re ok. I remember when the biggest threat to motorcycles in the Pacific Northwest were wildlife. Not the case anymore. Keep the shiny side up and the rubber side down.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Dayum, that's just wrong. Just get started on your new job - retired - and this. It sure makes you wonder about people and their electronic toys. I don't understand how all us old folks got this far without them. Glad you're ok and you get back on the road in short order. Ride safe and enjoy the ride.

Crabby Bob

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Governor Doug Ducey of AZ, just signed into law, a brand new bill here in AZ just yesterday morning to BAN all hands on phone stuff while DRIVING. Although it went into effect yesterday morning, all that anyone will receive from any officer, "should" they get stopped in the next year and a half, is a WARNING!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

The actual FINES won't start 'till 2021. Now, for the life of me, I cannot figure out, why they would postpone, the actual fines. I mean, unless you were born on Mars in the last DAY OR TWO, there's been news articles practically every single day, on just about every single news channel in America, where there's been some form of an accident or fatality due to cell phone usage while driving. What congressman/congresswoman/Senator/President etc. on this planet actually thinks its just fine to talk on or, manipulate a cell phone/text while driving? Especially since the statistics are building, every single day, that point to a drastic need to curtail the use of cell phones while driving.

I sure as heck don't want to turn this into any form of a political debate as, the monitors of this site will simply shut down the thread, if they think it'd out of line in terms of political correctness. But, the fact remains, in all reality, every single state in this country, needs severely strict laws governing the use of cell phones so we can not only cut back on incidents like the OP experienced but, if at all possible, eliminate the incidents. Dreaming I guess.

Scott
At least it is SOME progress. Doubt it will ever be inforced with all the police, officials, politicians, lawyers, and their families doing it.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Glad you are ok after this. As far as the bike, make sure to look closely at the alignment of the saddlebags, rear fender, and trunk. They are all attached to the saddlebag stay which is easily tweaked on rear end accidents. Youbhave to look under "Engine Guard" in the online parts catalogs. I had it happen on my 1500 many moons ago in a rear end accident. The damage is not always visible at first and they are a $600 item for the part alone.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Dam Idaho drivers anyway. Especially southern Idaho!:eek:4: Just messing with you. Glad you are alright. I have yet to ride in spite of the beautiful weather we are having. Waiting on shoulder to heal after replacement few weeks ago. Bummer.:serious:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes dreaming. We've had that law here for quite sometimes. However, people still use their cell with their hands (bluetooth allowed) , even with the stiff fines and loss of points.

People are just not learning.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Glad you are ok!

Donnie

·
Registered
1,191 Posts

Scott
This had me chuckling because on FB they were discussing something similar and in the next posting was a GOLD WING RIDER asking about how to CONNECT their phone to their bluetooth so they could TAKE calls while riding!

Almost every state or municipality has struggled with hands free phones and it doesn't do any good - NADA - Zilch! EVERYONE thinks it will be the next guy who will get caught and basically I haven't seen that "next guy" either.

Think about it - what guarantees a change in a person's pattern of life? What is one thing that would have you change anything?

MONEY - if you had to pay for every minute you were on a cell phone - would you spend 30 minutes driving down the road discussing last nights football game with your best bud? Remember - no free minutes - you are paying for each of those minutes on that cell phone.

Glad the OP was not hurt and everything is fixable.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, he didn't look up until he hit me. He had his foot on the brake and was slowing, but figured he wasn't as close as he really was. Just another second and I wouldn't have been there to hit. Just goes to show how that second you look down can be the second that kills someone. I was lucky, I get to ride one more day.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Glad your ok. We have a useless cell phone law in this state which everyone ignores. I wish phones would not operate while moving but don't think that will ever happen. People are addicted to their electronic pacifiers. Hope your bike is back to good as new soon.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Glad to hear you are OK.

Florida just passed a law making cellphone use a primary infraction. Better not let an officer see you with a cellphone in your hand, that is enough to get you pulled over.

I do not know about other states, but in Florida, it is about time.

Not sure how they passed the actual penalty portion, but initial drafts of the law made using a cellphone while riving equivalent to a DUI. 6 points, loss of license for one (1) year minimum, and the pulling of all registrations and tags. Not sure if that made it to the final bill.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts