GL1800Riders Forums banner

Boots for max protection AND comfort

6K views 20 replies 21 participants last post by  wingman05 
#1 · (Edited)
I am interested in hearing what boots are the most recommended for touring (Goldwing GL1800). They need to be comfortable in warm weather, easy to put on, and must be able to walk a mile without killing you. An added bonus would be if they added a couple inches so that I can actually not have to be on the balls of my feet when stopping. I have no trouble with my Harley, which is lower and not as wide a seat as the 1800. Anybody?

#2 · (Edited)
This question is the equivalent of the tire and oil question. You're going to get a plethora of answers. For ME, I have always worn wolverine 6 inch black waterproof leather boots. Lightweight, can walk all day, very durable. I don't believe they advertise them anymore and have 2 pair not worn. Recently, back to wolverine but this time I tried an 8 inch boot called sight line. Extremely durable, heavier than what I'm used to but I'm still breaking them in, in a way, very waterproof. Prior to this writing I was caught in a torrential downpour while riding in florida's notorious summer T storms, and the boots looked dry as a bone. I have walked around with them and other than me not used to it, no complaints or issues with them, feet do not sweat either. Both I believe have steel toe options but I decline because of the proximity to the GW shifter makes it harder for me. My brother likes ICON but not sure how they hold up over time. I believe the sightline style would hold up better than the 6 inch leather boots IMO. Thankfully, I haven't had to find out...

#3 ·
I have been wearing a pair of AlpineStars Ridges for eight years. They have served me well. They are comfortable, walkable, and ate only 9" tall which I like. After eight years and 100k miles they are finally falling apart and no longer waterproof. I am 5'6" so I can relate to your ground reach concern. The GL1800 is the easiest of the three bikes I have had in that regard.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

#20 ·
After 5 years using my AlpineStars Ridges - I agree with your assessment, except mine became decidedly not waterproof after 4 years. The other thing I found with mine was that after several hours riding in the heat my feet sweated. They are very comfortable though. Last year I went with these:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-gran-torino-gore-tex-boots

and as much as I liked the Ridge, I like these MUCH better. Just as comfortable for walking/riding, but no sweating at all and totally waterproof (so far anyway). If this is what all Gore Tex gear is like, I'll be buying more.

#5 ·
Despite all the rave reviews of a wide variety of boots, after owning Sidi boots I will never consider another brand. So far today I've had the Sidi boots on for 15hrs, rode 730 miles, vast majority of it in rain, after that walked all over the place in more rain, now sitting inside with the boots still on. These are the Canyon Gortex, I like the On Road or All Road even better. Never wet feet, never hot, (well to be honest, when it's hot, I like it, so don't care).

#7 ·
For the past 9 years I have worn the same two pair of Cruiserworks side zip boots. I have one tall pair for highway trips and one shorter pair for around town. Have had the tall ones resoled at Resole America and they are just like new. I can walk around all day in them and they are absolutely waterproof. They have been through some ownership changes since I bought them in 2007 so I don't know if they have changed quality or not; but I recommend the ones I've got to anyone.

Reactions: Road Runner
#9 ·
Bought a pair of wolverines 8" lace up boots. First pair of lace boots in 35 years. My riding boots have been side zip style. Tried them at store and felt pretty good. I usually wreyar size 12 shoe but these boots were a size 11 wide. The 12's I tried I could almost step out of them laced. Can't wait to see how they feel after wearing them for a while.

#11 ·
In 2004 or was it 2005, I was doing the same thing, trying to find d pair of boots that were both comfortable on and off the bike and would keep my feet dry.

These are the boots I purchased (well not exactly the same since they have changed the design slightly)

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sidi-all-road-gore-tex-boots

I have my original pair under my desk here at work just in case. They are on their second or third soles.

About five years ago I bought a new pair and just kept the old ones. I have walked in them for miles and no issues with comfort. They are waterproof (as much as you can expect) and my feet have never gotten wet when riding in the rain with them.

I could figure out the miles I have on them (riding) but its over 100,000. There are no other boots I would consider. Yes they are a bit pricey, but you get what you pay for.

#13 ·
An added bonus would be if they added a couple inches so that I can actually not have to be on the balls of my feet when stopping.
I think you might be looking for stilts.:joke: I have never seen footwear with that much added height except custom built stuff for people with one leg longer than the other. Good luck. I wear Bates duty boots with Goretex. They have a side sipper and the Goretex will stand up to a lot of rain and they are a lot cooler in hot weather. No added height though.

#14 ·
I brought Cruiserworks side zip boots in the late 90's (the last year the Honda Hoot was done in Knoxville) I have rode over 200,000 miles in these boots on 3 different wings, I have walked for hours without any discomfort, only time my feet ever got wet during riding in the rain was when they needed to be resoled (which has only been 3 times since new)

#15 ·
Top of the food chain. Daytona M-Star GTX boots. In my 50+ years of motorcycle ownership I have tried lot's of boots and these boots are the best by far. The only downside in their purchase is their price. I am 5'4" tall and these boots make me about an inch and a half taller than I really am. That makes a huge difference in getting my feet on the ground. My current Daytona boots are six years old and have little wear on them. If I ever wear my current pair out I will buy another pair for sure.

#18 ·
Great to see many examples of purpose designed motorcycle boots nominated and not 80/20 combat boot style which is er... designed for combat situations.
Most motorcycle boots are taller and have the shin and ankle armour protection and subtle things like retro reflective bits on the rear of the boot to name a few things.
The hardest thing really is which brand once you have settled on your own minimum features you require in your motorcycle boot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.