GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd get some advice from this site on boots. I am a new GW owner. I have a 29" inseam and although my Alpenstars I had for my FJR are great boots I need a little more lift for the GW. I bought a pair of engineer boots because they have about 1" in the heal. They work fine but last week I got caught in a rainstorm (monsoon here in Arizona) and they leaked.

What are some good boots. The Alpenstars zipped up the side and had a rain flap. They never leaked but the sole and heel is flat. IAre there good boots that have passed muster with GW riders? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Take your Aspenstar to a shoe repair shop and see if they can put new soles and heels on them . Just my suggestions
thomas

·
Registered
792 Posts
Do your AS have any sole on them or are they molded?

I have a 30 inch inseam and run one up 100% of the time and have no issues with foot placement. I ride a pair of basic heavy leather boots and keep them well oiled and they haven't leaked on me yet.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I ride in Redwings. They are comfortable and waterproof. Been in good down-pour and no leaks.

·
Registered
512 Posts
toywiz,

it goes witout saying,,if you end up getting a thick souled boot of any brand you may have troubles getting the boot under the shifter. I have read were some guys even raise the shift lever up one-two serations on the shaft.
I have Akito touring boots. They are "cheapies" in some people's eyes as they are an 'off brand' . I have ridden in downpours for several hours and they have never leaked.
They are nice and lightweight with a very smooth design all around.
I don't care at all for the monster heel,while M/Cing but lotsa people like the heavy heal thing.
There are a ton of good name brand touring boots,and most will stay dry in moderate rains. When you get into the gully washer downpours you'll find out,,which ones are actually water repellent, or water proof.
Everyone hear will tell you which ones to spend your $$ on,,beleive me,,,:)

Take Care,
BC

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Tourmaster Solutions. I bought a pair for my son and he absolutely loves them and would never consider anything else. They are comfortable as sneakers, are waterproof and offer ankle protection. I have Honda boots, but my next ones will be Tourmaster Solutions.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info so far. On my FJR I needed a thinner boot to clear the shifter. On the GW there's more room for a thicker boot. Just looking for the same quality as the Alps but something with a taller heel. TNX!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just got back from Kohls and a new set of New Balance riding shoes. Can't wait to brake them in :lol:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Also '29 inseam....Redwing(427) boots - just got back from riding up to Alaska...Lots of rain and not a single drop. A++ boots

·
Registered
824 Posts
Sidi canyon----gore tex liner in them, never leaked a drop so far (3 yrs)and just plain comfortable to wear;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts