GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Just ordered a pair. Many thanks for the "heads up"!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Great boots, great price. but
I ordered a pair 4 months ago and (8.5 extra wide) and they are tight. I spent a little time in the US Yacht Club (25 years and a few pair of flight deck boots), so all i can tell you is that they run a bit small (aka tight). I should have got a size 9 wide.

Caveat Emptor

YMMV

Hickory58

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Looks nice--- but I have same problem as bartman--- I need a VERY wide boot.

check out blauer brand 8 inch high waterproof boot with their BOA lacing system. --- stainless steel cable lace that you tighten with the twist of a knob, and release/loosen by pulling on the knob. And the lacing system is warranted for the life of the boot. $144.95 + tax on internet. I recently bought a pair and really like them. There is also a 6 inch version.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Had a pair similar to these and in the rain they sucked. Another problem, maybe not with this boot, but putting my bike on the center stand, I inadvertently used the arch of foot and bent the metal stay in the sole! Boot was unusable after that. I don't use that part of my foot anymore......:lol:

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Looks like the same type of Jungle Boots issued to me when I was in the USMC...

They for sure can not offer to much protection, (well maybe for the bottom of your foot and toes at best),But I would hate to have my shins come in contact with the foot pegs, or get those laces caught on something on the bike, if you go down...

You will be in a World of hurt sliding down the road with these on your feet

For sure would not be my first, second, or third choice...This is just my opinion.

John

·
Registered
52 Posts
Boots

There's not doubt Bates makes a great boot. In fact, Bates are what many of our military services use. I wore Bates when I was in the USMC 22 years ago. I just checked the website posted above and they are sold out. If you are still wanting a pair of boots like this or similar, please check out www.bootcampaign.com. This is a great organization that helps injured warriors and their families and they are funded by people like us buying their boots. For each purchase, a significant amount goes to help vets. For example, I paid $100 for a pair of boots, but $50 went to a good cause. I've had my boots for two years now and they are still in great shape and I wear them a lot, not everyday, but almost. When I ride with them, people ask me about them because I have a metal plaque on the laces that say "Bootcampaign.com" and that gives me the opportunity to further spread the word.

Safe riding.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
There's not doubt Bates makes a great boot. In fact, Bates are what many of our military services use. I wore Bates when I was in the USMC 22 years ago.
Non concur. Not a fan of Bates. Disappointed several times by them in 26+ years USMC. I now actively avoid.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts