GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen and heard a set of BORLA pipes on an 1800 ?
Are they loud? How do they compare with Torqmaster and Cobra ?
I'm thinking of putting something Aftermarket on the beast 'cause the QUIET is DEAFENING! :lol:
TIA

·
Chard Member
13,075 Posts
I thought Borla stopped making exhaust for the 1800 about the same time they started!

I have the stainless Alley Kats from MBL. 100,000+ miles. I couldn't ask for a better sound.

Be careful. You can get the exhaust on the Wing too loud real easy. The full fairing amplifies the sounds. If you use a FF helmet or barn door sized shield, you might want to think twice about changing the exhaust.

www.mblinnovations.com

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Borla did not get a favorable review in MCN mag. about a 1 1/2 years ago.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Found this pdf file online, it includes a short unfavorable review of Borla on a 1800. MCN December 2001

http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/mcn/model_eval/Honda_GL1800_1.pdf#search="Borla Goldwing"

Is it just me or are those Borla pipes really that ugly?? :eek:4:

(Yeah I know It's just me... :wink: )

I'm very pleased with my Torqmaster Loopz & Turndown Mufflers. With the "optional" 4" baffles they are nearly stock quiet, but with a definte "attitude" :!: :)

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Could you guys with the aftermarket pipes post some sound clips, please?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Thanks, pshivers! That was QUICK!!!!

I LOVE the sound!!!!!
3 questions:

1. Are they slip ons? Who sell them and how much?
2. Do you need any other equipment on top of the stock ECU (like Powercommander, etc,...)
3. Does the sound make you feel tired on long trips?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Mine are the Torqmaster Turndown style mufflers and Torq Loopz.

The mufflers are direct replacements of the OEM mufflers and by themselves are a fairly simple 20-30 minute install.

Installation of the Torq Loopz is a little more involved, (about a half days work), as you have to remove the entire exhaust system, cut off the cats and then reinstall every thing. All lower cowlings have to come off the bike for this.

The Turndown style muffler comes with the optional 4" baffles already installed so they are pretty close to the OEM sound level but with a definte growl to them. On the highway they sound no different to me than the OEM's. Without the optional baffles they are quite a bit louder and may be a bit too much for longer trips. The Daytona style Torqmasters (straight back outlet) do not come with the 4" baffles but can be added or removed very easily.

I got mine at Wingstuff:

http://www.wingstuff.com/pgroup_list/gl ... Pipes/mfg/

Turndown Mufflers were $459.00
Torq Loopz were $279.99
Optional 4" baffles are $29.95

HDL seems to only have the Torqmaster Daytonas listed:

http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/store ... =828332944
$489.00

I reset the ECM for a smooth idle, the fuel injection takes care of the rest automatically in 15-20 miles.

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
I got a kick out of this comment in the NCN article.

However, despite the distributor’s
claims that their own dyno tests showed a 3-5 hp gain with the
Borlas, over a half-dozen dyno tests of our own revealed a 1–5 hp loss
over the stockers from 2000 rpm to redline.
That's pretty typical of aftermarket exhausts with no other engine modifications. I don't understand why anyone would intentionally lower the performance of their engine. "All show and no go" appears to be in vogue once again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts