GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to replace my spark plugs, and would like to know what Platinum spark plug to use. The cross reference for the NGK BKR6E 11 is Bosch #4202. Is this the plug everyone is changing to? If not which one should I purchase?

Thank you
Dennis

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
I'm using Autolite Platinums from Wal-Mart. Less than $2 each. Stock # AP3923.

Since Autolite is an Original Equipment supplier for car manufacturers, that's good enough for me.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I changed my plugs to NGK iridiums. They were pricey but I feel that they improve the performance of the GL1800. Take off was smoother and gas milage improved slightly. Approx. 1 to 1 1/2 miles more per gallon. :eek:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Excellent choice Gladiator. In my experience of installing several hundred sparkplugs the NGK's have never let me down. I have thrown out Bosch, Autolite etc but mostly Champions in Japanese designed engines/electronics. NGK's Lazer cut plug is another good one to use. I'll be pulling the plugs on my 04 and switching to Iridium as soon as the weather warms up. Just my experience, yours may vary but I can't afford comebacks. BTW in my experience Honda car engines have been the most "sensitive" to ignition part quality. If you ever have to replace Honda car ignition wires use OE or again NGK wire sets.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Sparkplugs

Just wondering if it is worth changing out the plugs and upgrading to the NGK Iridiums. I have found them at clubplug.com on special for $6.50 a plug. I think this seems to be a good price for a premium plug. What are some of your comments on this subject. Has anybody purchased plugs from this site, or know of other good sources to obtain these plugs?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Sparkplugs

Just wondering if it is worth changing out the plugs and upgrading to the NGK Iridiums. I have found them at clubplug.com on special for $6.50 a plug. I think this seems to be a good price for a premium plug. What are some of your comments on this subject. Has anybody purchased plugs from this site, or know of other good sources to obtain these plugs?

I

·
0 Posts
Nothing invites more opinions, anecdotal stories, and "BS" among bikers, snowmobilers, or car buffs etc, than oil, filters, and SPARK PLUGS. The discussion about all three rages on, and probably will as long as there are engines that use them.

Consider this. Honda (and all the others) spend many $$$$$$$$ and a gazillion hours of dyno and road testing time, in conjunction with their spark plug vendor, to come up with the best plug for the intended use of any particular engine. Just because another brand of plug is called "equivalent" doesn't mean that it is the same. My years of racing and building racing engines have shown that there can be, and usually are, differences in heat range, that over time, can be problematic, although rarely ever serious, except in the case of a very highly tuned engine.

Honda uses NGK plugs. When I am due to change plugs (long time away) I will use NGK plugs, and I don't care what they cost. I may elect to use a better style, such as iridium instead of platinum or whatever is the best at that time, but they will be NGK for my 1800. My oil and filters will also be Honda, at least until the warranty expires.

Why in the world would I "cheap out" on the cost of spark plugs that run many thousands of miles anyway, on a machine that cost me many thousands of $$$$$$$? I don't get it. :roll:

Just my $.02. Rock On! :chat:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
sjvanepps said:
Nothing invites more opinions, anecdotal stories, and "BS" among bikers, snowmobilers, or car buffs etc, than oil, filters, and SPARK PLUGS. The discussion about all three rages on, and probably will as long as there are engines that use them.

Consider this. Honda (and all the others) spend many $$$$$$$$ and a gazillion hours of dyno and road testing time, in conjunction with their spark plug vendor, to come up with the best plug for the intended use of any particular engine. Just because another brand of plug is called "equivalent" doesn't mean that it is the same. My years of racing and building racing engines have shown that there can be, and usually are, differences in heat range, that over time, can be problematic, although rarely ever serious, except in the case of a very highly tuned engine.

Honda uses NGK plugs. When I am due to change plugs (long time away) I will use NGK plugs, and I don't care what they cost. I may elect to use a better style, such as iridium instead of platinum or whatever is the best at that time, but they will be NGK for my 1800. My oil and filters will also be Honda, at least until the warranty expires.

Why in the world would I "cheap out" on the cost of spark plugs that run many thousands of miles anyway, on a machine that cost me many thousands of $$$$$$$? I don't get it. :roll:

Just my $.02. Rock On! :chat:
Why spend 200% or 300% or 400% or more for a product that the manufacturer reccomends when you can get a replacement that works just as well for a fraction of the cost :?: I switched to Bosch Super #7557 for less than half the price of NGK and cannot tell any difference one way or the other. I just thought of something else. My owners manual says NGK or Denso. Does anyone use Denso plugs?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Sparkplug

I will stay with the identical NGK plug type for the engine. My question concerned about the opinions of the upgrade Iridium plug over the platinum or copper core plugs. Just wanted to know if someone has experiences with the new style plugs. I know what goes into the design of engines, because I'm an engineer for Honda at the engine plant in Ohio. Honda tries to use the best materials and components, while still making a resonable price product. If we built the Goldwing with the most expensive parts available, I doubt if many could afford to buy it.

:sparkplug:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts