GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Turned the key on to go for a ride tonight and the headlight came on and went off before I could even start the bike. I had Silver Stars in my low beams for about the last 10,000 miles. They both burned out simultaneously. What is the chances of that happening again?

I took them out and put the stock bulbs back in and was back in business. I liked the Silver Stars, but it looks like life may be shorter than stock.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
brian9650 said:
... I had Silver Stars in my low beams for about the last 10,000 miles. They both burned out simultaneously. What is the chances of that happening again?
Actually pretty good... since that quirk is not uncommon!

My left headlamp went out and I went to an auto parts store to buy a replacement. Went home to change the bulb and noticed the right one was out also. Had to go back the same day and buy another bulb! :roll:

Others have had both lamps go out at the same time, too.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
My Silverstars went out about two days apart after about 15,000,six months since the last set. Glad I bought a pair, saved me a trip to Auto-Zone.

·
Registered
58 Posts
When I bought my '01 in June, the former owner told me to change the
headlight bulb immediately after it burns out; he said the other bulb
will usually burn out within 30 minutes if you don't. It has something to do with the load placed on the system- amp draw/voltage when the bulb burns out, it really changes light system amp/volt readings.
I try to carry at least 1 if not 2 spares on the bike since they are so cheap.
Best Wishes, Don Wittbrodt

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
dwitgoldwing said:
When I bought my '01 in June, the former owner told me to change the headlight bulb immediately after it burns out; he said the other bulb will usually burn out within 30 minutes if you don't. It has something to do with the load placed on the system- amp draw/voltage when the bulb burns out, it really changes light system amp/volt readings. ....
IF a single wire supplies both bulbs, then I think it might be the voltage drop across that wire that causes this effect. When one bulb goes out then the voltage drop across that wire is suddenly less and the remaining bulb begins to get a slightly higher voltage. On an aging bulb that's probably enough of a change to finish it off.

It's probably a 'best practice' to go ahead and change both low beams when one goes out.

Just guessing, but that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

·
Registered
20,992 Posts
i think Honda may have upgraded thier bulbs because my last set of low beam bulbs lasted over 60,000 smiles, one bulb lasted about 3,000 miles longer than the other

1 - 6 of 6 Posts