GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Both of my trunk latches have lost the ability to open either trunk. The levers underneath the top trunk are just floppy. The key does not even work for the top. Is there a way to get into either trunk?

Don't know if this requires going through the back seat somehow. I am assuming someone tried to break into them, pulled too hard and broke them while parked in my driveway.

Any help or suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Bruce

·
Registered
717 Posts
I just went out and took a look at mine. Don't think removing the back sea will give you access to the trunk lid hinges. Have you tried the remote opener? That should be totally isolated from the handles.

Good Luck Bruce!!!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Goldrush.

Tried all the different tricks I had read about. In actuality, even though my fob was making the lights and clicks for lock/unlock, it was not really activating.

My dumb ass :serious: didn't even think about the battery in the fob. What a fool I am. Works like a charm now.

Bruce

·
Registered
833 Posts
Bruce,

I don't know if this will help you or not, but I found a copy of an post about adjusting the saddlebag and trunk latches. It may have some info that can help you get yours working again. Good luck!!

Adjusting saddlebag and trunk latch mechanism

First remove cover in the trunk to expose the linkage mechanism (See Photo #3)

1. Rotate the green clip holding the linkage rod to the release lever and pull linkage rod out. (See photo 1.)

2. Bend the release lever upward a little at a time then reconnect everything back together and see if saddlebag door now works properly. (See photo 2.)
If it doesn't work repeat steps 1 & 2 until the saddlebag door opens smoothly.

By bending the lever upward you get more travel on the cable to release the locks on the doors.
All this is assuming everything else is connect.
On my bike the right linkage works very smoothly the way it should but the left linkage has a lot of free play in it. All that slop would not pull the cable enough to release the locks.

I'll have to go back and see if I can find the photos that go with this, but you can search the forum for info on this. I'll post the pics if I can find them.

Keith

·
Registered
717 Posts
I seem to recall the left opener slop issue was quite common on early models. Had that problem with my '01 very quickly and HONDA replaced the entire assembly. I thought there was some sort of service bulletin about that but can't locate any info on it.

The real problem on mine was the pivot for the left side latch was loose and did not actually start the unlatch sequence until the slop was taken up. The assembly construction prevented simply tightening that pivot so replacement was the only option. The adjustment could be done but it just masked the real problem which would eventually ware out prematurely and then I'd have had a REAL PROBLEM!!
Bruce,

I don't know if this will help you or not, but I found a copy of an post about adjusting the saddlebag and trunk latches. It may have some info that can help you get yours working again. Good luck!!

Adjusting saddlebag and trunk latch mechanism

First remove cover in the trunk to expose the linkage mechanism (See Photo #3)

1. Rotate the green clip holding the linkage rod to the release lever and pull linkage rod out. (See photo 1.)

2. Bend the release lever upward a little at a time then reconnect everything back together and see if saddlebag door now works properly. (See photo 2.)
If it doesn't work repeat steps 1 & 2 until the saddlebag door opens smoothly.

By bending the lever upward you get more travel on the cable to release the locks on the doors.
All this is assuming everything else is connect.
On my bike the right linkage works very smoothly the way it should but the left linkage has a lot of free play in it. All that slop would not pull the cable enough to release the locks.

I'll have to go back and see if I can find the photos that go with this, but you can search the forum for info on this. I'll post the pics if I can find them.

Keith

·
Registered
833 Posts
Goldrush,

I believe you are correct. I remember my '04 had some slop in the left saddlebag latch but before I was able to get into it to figure it out, the bike got totalled. I held on to that set of instructions, but I never got the pics to go with it. I wish I had now. Hopefully this will help firebreath out on fixing his. I realize it's not the same, but perhaps having a little bit of insight into how that works will help him.

Keith

·
Registered
717 Posts
:thumbup::thumbup:
Goldrush,

I believe you are correct. I remember my '04 had some slop in the left saddlebag latch but before I was able to get into it to figure it out, the bike got totalled. I held on to that set of instructions, but I never got the pics to go with it. I wish I had now. Hopefully this will help firebreath out on fixing his. I realize it's not the same, but perhaps having a little bit of insight into how that works will help him.

Keith

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Thanks Goldrush.

Tried all the different tricks I had read about. In actuality, even though my fob was making the lights and clicks for lock/unlock, it was not really activating.

My dumb ass :serious: didn't even think about the battery in the fob. What a fool I am. Works like a charm now.

Bruce
Thanks F/B I went to store today and purchased a battery for the wing today and replaced it before that happens to me, as well as for my wife's Jeep, and my Subaru...Thanks for the wonderful reminder............
Ronnie

·
Registered
52 Posts
There’s a cable routed under the seat and to my side cover that I can access in an emergency that opens the top trunk...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts