GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To avoid any more confusion on my part, I need your wisdom/input as to what GPS unit will provide the following, at the best price:

1. Easy to read screen in sunlight
2. Can be connected directly into the bikes electronics
3. Has Sat Radio and Weather Radar capabilities....MP3 would be nice.
4. Waterproof
5. Route planning capabilities from home computer.
6. Can be operated with Gloves on.
7. Voice prompts on route points.
8. Can be easily used on both bike and auto (Two Mounts)
9. Needs no additional parts...ie...fully ready to install and use out of the box.

Would really appreciate your input....Xmas around the corner. Thanks...and Merry Christmas... :xmas1:

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I made this list before I bought a GPS unit (from my limited knowledge of them)

My requirements for a GPS

Waterproof: First and foremost I require a completely waterproof unit for use on a motorcycle. Water resistant or a cover held zero interest for me.

MP3 Player: Having an iPod under my seat allowed for no user control over track and volume. In an ideal world I wanted both. Both volume control and track control on the handlebars. Including the ability to swap out multiple secure digital (SD) flash memory cards currently up to 4GB each which can include playlists.

Bluetooth: When I am in proximity of the (car or bike) and the phone rings the GPS hijacks the call and prompts for “answer” or “ignore”. I can also dial out from the GPS keypad. In the car it’s full speakerphone and on the bike it’s headset. If I had known how easy it was to use my phone on the bike I would have wanted this feature sooner. It’s enough to make me buy a new phone too.

Pre Loaded Maps: Of course I wanted all of my maps to come on a GPS unit with enough memory to hold them all at one time. This includes MapSource® City Navigator NT DVD (full-unlock) and Preloaded City Navigator® NT North America.

Mapsource Downloads: Creating routes on the GPS is time consuming. Creating routes on a computer and downloading them to the GPS is very important to me. I can store all of my favorites routes and have plenty of room to create routes when we travel.

Small Size: Not to big to fit between my handlebars. Maximum use of minimal space is different for every bike. Not to large and not to small with a very readable screen.

XM Radio: While I am not going to spring for it immediately I like XM in my car and appreciate the option of having XM with me on a road trip in the middle of the country where the radio stations get a little thin.

User Friendly: A touch screen menu system that features large icons that are glove friendly and lead to logical sub menu selections.

Left Hand Controls: On a motorcycle your right hand needs to stay on the throttle of course so left hand controls are a big feature. Just a few simple buttons on the left side.

Text to Voice: Got to be able to hear it in my ear and not have to look down at the screen to tell what to do.

It's interesting how similar our requirements are for a GPS unit. I might add some other stuff now but you have a good list.

·
Registered
289 Posts
??

So Uneasy, Just what did you get for a GPS, that fit's all that?

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I am in debate in just getting a 2610 and saving some money. But my real debate is between the 2820 vs Zumo. I wonder which one to pick and why? Someone help me out.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
F14-RIO said:
To avoid any more confusion on my part, I need your wisdom/input as to what GPS unit will provide the following, at the best price:

1. Easy to read screen in sunlight
2. Can be connected directly into the bikes electronics
3. Has Sat Radio and Weather Radar capabilities....MP3 would be nice.
4. Waterproof
5. Route planning capabilities from home computer.
6. Can be operated with Gloves on.
7. Voice prompts on route points.
8. Can be easily used on both bike and auto (Two Mounts)
9. Needs no additional parts...ie...fully ready to install and use out of the box...
The Garmin 478 meets most of these requirements if you want a pre-loaded (no memory cards to worry about map downloads) unit.

The 376 with the automotive kit is another option.

These are units without touch-screen and the small buttons can be awkward to work with gloves on.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Jon I would be interested in knowing why you did not mention the Zumo. It meets all of the requirements with the exception of weather radar.

I think a question that needs to be asked before making a recommendation is. What is the intended usage? Do you consider yourself a "power" user and want all of the bells and whistles or do you want a powerful GPS unit that allows you to plan and execute your trips with a minimum amount of hassle?

I bought the Zumo and for what I spent on it could have purchased any GPS unit available, I choose the Zumo and find that it very satisfactorily meets my requirements. I like gadgets and have my share but I did not want an overly complicated unit with features that I would not use. I upgraded from a small hand held Etrex Vista C, that had features that I never used. I used it on the bike and in the car.

Wayne

·
Registered
227 Posts
DubT said:
Jon I would be interested in knowing why you did not mention the Zumo.
There are others (other than the Zumo) that Jon didn't mention either. I have the Lowrance iWay 500C and I love it. It doesn't have Sat Radio or Weather Radar, but it has all the other capabilities mentioned. Better yet, why not wait for the soon-to-be-released iWay 600C and get an improved 5" display , satellite imagery, built-in full spectrum FM wireless modulator, and a marine mode with maps and charts for inland and coastal waterways? Pre-order prices across the web for about $650. Also, almost infinitely customizable map overlays. There are also some very nice "home-made" customized skins available on the web for the iWay.

http://www.lowrance.com/Automotive/Prod ... AY600C.asp

Bill

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
RIO,

One ting to keep in mind is the difference (when it comes to pricing) between XM Weather and XM NEXRAD. XM weather just gives you the current conditions and forcast and is included in your XM Radio subscription. XM NEXRAD is available in several different categories, but runs about $30/month in addition to your XM subscription. Only a few of Garmin's units have NEXRAD Capability (376,378,478).

If NEXRAD is NOT a requirement, but you would still like to have the weather feature, personally, I would recommend the 2730. It has the capability of every other feature in your list and, the nice thing is, the GXM-30 antenna is included in the price. With the 2820 and ZUMO, the antenna is extra (about $200 on eBay) and that antenna is REQUIRED to receive XM transmissions. The 2730 is discontinued, but there are a lot of places that still have them in stock. The only difference between the 2730 and the 2820 is Bluetooth. The ZUMO is a completely different unit.

Here is the link to Garmin's website on the 2730: http://www.garmin.com/products/sp2730/

I got mine from GPSDiscount.com. Had it in 2 days. http://www.gpsdiscount.com/products/index.html?p=905

Jon (goldwinggadgets.com) or CycleGadgets.com can hook you up with everything you need to make the unit plug-n-play. Personally, I like Jon's dash mount the best, whichever you prefer, Jon's a great resource for information.

That's my $0.02. Good luck!

Bartman

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
DubT said:
Jon I would be interested in knowing why you did not mention the Zumo. It meets all of the requirements with the exception of weather radar....
Because he listed weather radar as one of his requirements - it's the same reason I didn't recommend the iWay (500 or 600c)

It's not about what I would buy, it's about recommending what fits his needs/wants.

Bartman, there are quite a few other differences between the 2820 and the 2730 (except for the Bluetooth) - I would recommend the 2820 over the 2730.

·
Vendor
22,240 Posts
The Garmin 376c 378 and 478 are the only models I am aware of that provide you moving NextRad doppler weather screens.

To me, this is the single most valuable piece of information I need when I am traveling. Unfortunately, Garmin left it off the Zumo. The only weather info it provides you is temp and forcasts, but you can't see the actual radar, which is THE most important piece of information.

Being able to see a storm in advance, where it is headed, and how fast it is moving allows you to route around it, or pick the weakest point in the storm to ride through it at. For me, that makes it worth every single penny it costs. The first time you are able to avoid having to ride into the middle of a hail storm it will have paid for itself.

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
Jon said:
Bartman, there are quite a few other differences between the 2820 and the 2730 (except for the Bluetooth) - I would recommend the 2820 over the 2730.
Really? I wasn't aware of any other than the FM TCM Traffic capability which the 2820 has and the 2730 doesn't (of course that takes another special receiver) and the intregrated FM Transmitter which the 2730 has and the 2820 doesn't. I didn't mention either of these since neither was in RIO's list.

I visited this website by Garmin to get my information: http://www.garmin.com/automotive/compare.jsp

If there are others, let me know. Just curious.

Bartman

·
Registered
598 Posts
After reading all of the requirements mentioned in the original post, is there an available GPS unit that meets ALL of the conditions?

Wayne

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
dtbmjax - aka Bartman said:
No. Option number nine (9) is the killer.

Bartman
The 478 is still the closest match - the marine bracket will attach to $40 worth of RAM mounting hardware (sold separately)

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Many more choices - the Zumo would probably be the closest to meeting that list without the radar weather.

·
Registered
21 Posts
GPS

AFTER 30,000 MILES OF TRAVELING WITH MY iWAY 500, IT'S THE ONLY WAY TO GO!!!! SCREEN CAN BE VIEWED IN ANY LIGHT AND IS ONE OF THE LARGEST ON THE MARKET. PRICED UNDER $500.00.
IF YOU HAVE WEATHER BAND ON YOUR RADIO, YOU HAVE EVERY THING YOU NEED WITH THE EXCEPTION OF XM RADIO.
THIS UNIT FINDS ADDRESSES THAT OTHERS DON'T HAVE IN THEIR MEMORIES.PLUS UP DATES ARE FREE!
THE iWAY 600 SHOULD BE ON THE MARKET SOON. THIS WILL ALLOW YOU TO INSTALL WAY POINTS USING LAT-LON. :idea:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts