GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi wandering if there is anything i should know ??? The bads and goods thanks brad

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Only thing I can suggest is, when weather permits, fill the gas tank with gas and RIDE RIDE RIDE :lol:

·
Registered
442 Posts
Yea Brad you should know you bought a great bike. Ride it, and enjoy it and you found the right place to get answers to any questions you might have. Oh by the way welcome.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Take the VIN number to any Honda Dealer and have them check to see that all the frame recalls have been done. That year was when the frame cracks were starting to appear and had to be rewelded. It is a warranty issue even if the regular warranty has ran out.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes the recall has been done

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
You're doomed man...doomed! :eek:4:

Trips to the corner store for a gallon of milk have been known to take 2 or 3 hours on these things! All the fun you could have doing weekly repairs on a lesser bike will be lost to hours of riding time. Sitting in the office waiting for 5:00 will be worse than waterboarding.

It's too late for you now. Accept your fate and make the best of it! ;)

·
Registered
645 Posts
You're doomed man...doomed to a lot of saddle sores
:congrats:

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
:congrats: ..now you need a trailer to get to salt free roads so you don't drive yourself crazy waiting for our :shock: snow to melt..:capwin:

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
I bought one too. I had baker wings put on for the SO, i had a cb just in case and that is about it, i just ride when i can and there only between april and november

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
You've just bought one of the best all around bikes ever made.

Depending on how you accessorize it, it can be pretty much what you want it to be. I've left mine mostly stock, except for wind management. It's a big, broad, strong, quick and maneuverable (for a touring bike) platform that can be made to fit most people.

This is also a great forum. Seems to select for tolerant, mature people. Some are quite knowledgeable, some are excellent riders. (Not always the same people ;))

Congrats and WELCOME.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Congrats on the ride. You'll love it! Where ya at in Ontario??

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Not sure what your riding history is but, my "unbiased" opinion is that u have chosen a great bike. I have had some issues with mine but they have been worked through. Red is the fastest color!:joke:

I would suggest the following:
Take a Motorcycle Safety Coarse, if needed.
Find a good dealer.
Read your operators manual.
Check to make sure all recalls have been done.
If ridding 2 up, head sets and Baker mirror wings are a requirement.
REG risers if u have shorter arms like me.
Add a back rest if not already equipped.
Acc outlet in left pocket if u plan on adding an external GPS or something else that requires 12v.
Use your MP3 or Ipod player through the Aux plug.
Add a windshield vent as the 04 and up models use.
Keep an eye on your tire pressure.
If u do your own work, I like the Fred maintenance CD's. Don't always do everything just like he does but using the Honda manual and his CD's sure make it easier.
Need to check to see if your maintenance items have been done. Such as Oil, filters (oil/air), brake fluid (brakes and clutch), coolant, differential oil have all been changed. Depending on mileage, other items need to be looked at.
Learn the Search feature on this site. U can retrieve a lot of good information.
Did I mention finding a good dealer?
Ride it.

Enjoy:congrats::thumbup::clap2::biker:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
HI i live just outside Kitchener Ontario

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
I'd suggest changing all the fluids if the previous owner did not keep records on the bike

:chef2:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi wandering if there is anything i should know ??? The bads and goods thanks brad
how much did you pay for it ? i just payed my 2004 off. i owed 5800 on it .did not want to lose it.:thumbup:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi the bike has 10000kms or 6000 miles in great shape ,no stone chips or scratches ,like new paid 15000 Canadian with taxes, maybe paid to much, but the bike was local and i cant afford a new one

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,984 Posts
I love my 03 and it has been the most enjoyable motorcycle I have owned....but you want to know the good and bad. Keep a eye out for frame cracks in the frame tubing on the left side of the frame behind the passenger floorboards. This issue affects all the 01 to 04 models and it's not the same issue that was in the recall. Do a search on frame cracks.......there's enough info to keep you reading for hours.

This is the area of the frame that you want to keep a eye on..where the frame tubing goes into the frame casting on the left...you need to get under the bike and look up at the inside of the frame. A crack can be faint and a bit hard to see with just your eyes, use a magnifying glass to inspect the frame.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts