GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my 2016 GW, and had thought awhile about getting a second bike just for little local rides, running errands, etc. and in general just for some variety or when I don't want to roll out the big guy. In the course of considering many bikes, my wife, who has never been a rider but has long been my passenger, said she would ride herself if I bought something lightweight and with an auto transmission. After looking at many alternatives, I selected a Honda PCV150 scooter! Yes a scooter, but I think that between what I wanted and the chance to get my wife into riding it is a good choice. Now I have to give her some basic lessons and then she can go to the DMV and take her road test for a motorcycle endorsement. And then, after 35 years of riding solo, we will be able to ride together!

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Sounds fun. I’ve never ridden a scooter.

My wife has never ridden. We put her on a Harley trike and put her through some lessons. She loves it.

After gaining plenty of experience on the trike she has mentioned she could probably ride a bike now.

The trike has allowed her to learn the fundamentals of the hand and foot controls without worrying about the 2 wheel stability. She now feels she could transition to a bike if she wants too...... not a wing but medium size bike.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Even though my wife drove a manual shift car for years, when she took the basic motorcycle course she had some problems coordinating the shifting, clutching, braking and rolling off the throttle. But rather than work with her as a beginner, the a--hole instructor acted like he was some tough guy drill sergeant and gave her a real hard time. That so flustered her that she really had problems and the same instructor told her to go home and failed her from the course. I wish I had been present to make some corrective comments to that sorry excuse of a Instructor (I taught the program for over 10 years and knew it was my job to teach newbies and instill confidence, not stroke my ego by lording my authority over students, but I guess not everyone sees it my way). The bottom line was that she would never go back, and never consider trying to learn to ride a real motorcycle. So the scooter is the perfect compromise.

Riding a scooter is a very different experience from riding a normal size or larger motorcycle. It is very unintimidating and so light and easy to maneuver and stop that it really is a lot of fun. I see the scooter as a good alternative to the Wing, just for fun and errands, and it will be simple enough that I'm hoping it gets my wife's confidence back up. We are no youngsters. I'll be 76 in two weeks and she is 72. But if not now, when? If this little scooter starts to bore her after awhile, I can live with losing some money and trading it in for a larger, highway capable scooter. Years ago, after undergoing double knee replacement, I gave up my Kawasaki Concours and bought a Honda Silverwing. Honestly, that "Maxi scooter" could do everything a motorcycle could do, and in some ways did it better. I just missed having a real motorcycle and went back to a real bike once my legs worked sort of normally again. If she ever gets to it, a Suzuki Burgman 650 could let her keep the automatic transmission and easily keep up with the Goldwing on any road. I have no doubt that I will be enjoying this little Honda for now and see it as $4K well spent.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts