GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my new 06 Airbag Wing last night after plunking down $25,000.00 with all the hidden charges..got a half a mile from the dealership showroom floor and felt the severe wobbles in my steering handlebars at 40 mph. Bike had 8 miles on the clock out the door!

So, at 8.5 miles I am experiencing what everyone else is complaining about...

So....just called the Service Manager where I bought it, and told him it needed Progressive Springs and All Balls Bearings to fix the problem...he pushed me to call Honda Customer Service and see what they said! He said he would be glad to check the alignment and balance of the front tire...but offered no resolution for repair of this problem, if his methodology failed!

So...here we go passing the buck...I told him the internet Goldwing sites are complaining abou this problem on the 1800's and he denied any knowledge of the "Alleged" problems, and said all info from Goldwingers on these sites are "BOGUS"......his name is Joe and he is the manager at Cocoa Beach, Florida Champion Honda...they have 4 stores.

So, I asked him if you check and do your magic balancing act, and I still have problems out your service door...what is plan B? He said contact Honda Customer Service....it would not be covered under warranty to install Progressive Springs or the All Balls Bearings to fix this problem.

I am really pissed!!!

Any thoughts from anyone else on this issue? I need some input before I decide to wage war....and I will.

At 80 mph the wobbles weren't as severe on cruise control, but they were still there.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
No Wobbles found

I to just got my new 06 yesterday but I have not noticed any kind of wobbles with it. Going from my 86 - 1200 it has been quite and enjoyable change, the speed, the handling and best of all the gas mileage. :!: :!: :D

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Basspro - take it back. I assume it's just like a car and you have a certain period of time to back out. If this wobble is severe when you are riding a constant 40 down the road then something is drastically wrong. You know you won't win a battle on that. Take it back! Do it now!

If you do decide to let the dealer try to fix it, make sure you are both in agreement that if it wobbles when you come to pick it up the deal is off.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Basspro,

Sorry to hear about your problem. I have the '06 airbag and so far no problems with the much complained about wobble.

The more I read about it the more I wonder if it may also be related to the cast wheels???? In the aero industry I work in we deal with castings daily and I can tell you that investment casting is a tricky business. Yours SHOULD be too new for it to be a tire problem, unless it actually is balance related.

Just a thought pouring in......

·
Registered
871 Posts
Fortunately, my '06 airbag is wobble-free (so far?).

Florida has a lemon law; I say use it...

Obviously all bikes don't have that problem so why keep one that does?

Good Luck,

Lance

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wobble 06 Airbag

I just called the service manager and they agreed to check the tire balance...but not much more....so far have 190 miles on it in 24 hours now. He told me I can take it to ANY Honda dealer to have it looked at...he is 75 miles from my house and there are several others much closer.

The only reason I went so far to buy it is it was the only one left in Florida for sale, and I didn't want to wait for December or February for the 07' Airbag model...

Thanks for your comments so far..am loading my guns now.....keep em comin'....

·
Registered
127 Posts
You sound like a NON rider to me. If not, sell the Wing and got buy a HARLEY!!!!. And, I guess the Honda Dealer "Terriorized" you with all the "Hdden Charges." :twisted:

·
Registered
871 Posts
Red, I agree per se,

But there are exceptions. The following is quoted from a local lawyers FAQ section:

Almost any type of passenger vehicle is covered by the Florida Lemon Law. This means that Cars, Trucks, Vans, RVs and many other types of motor vehicles are all covered under the Lemon Law. For off-road vehicles, trucks over 10,00 pounds gross vehicle weight, motorcycles, and other items not covered by the strict definitions of the Florida Lemon Law, other State and Federal Lemon Laws are available which do cover these products.

I'm not a lawyer nor pretend to know anything about specifics, but it does seem there is some wiggle room here. Of course I suppose one would need to meet the basic requirements of the law which starts with 3 times in the shop for the same thing and the dealer is unable to repair...

Lance

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Let me get this straight....you have been reading here(board) of all the wobble problems and still went and bought an 1800? Now you want the dealer to fess up about the ongoing problem? Good Luck! No one else here has gotten Mother Honda to do that. Do you think you are someone special? Hahahahaha just like everyone else who has wobble problems. Are you riding with your hands off the handlebars at 40 mph? If so....then that is your foolishness.

You knew full well what you could have in store for yourself and still made the decision to buy. I never have seen a dealer or anyone from Champion go out of their way to put a gun to your head to buy a GL1800.
That was your decision again. As to the hidden charges...you must have forgotten to read the fine print. Better to know what you are signing before doing so.

If you are looking for sympathy you came to the wrong place. LOL

No softy's here!

I wouldn't buy a dog from Champions Honda much less a motorcycle. BTDT never do it again. If it meant me not riding a goldwing and Champions was the only dealer that had them, then I would be wingless.

Sorry about your luck but you knew this going in.

Ride Safe!

·
Chard Member
12,975 Posts
He's screwed if the dealer isn't willing to bend some for him! Honda doesn't want to hear about a wobble. According to Honda, they all do it. After I got lied to dozens of times I just gave up and sold my '04. :(

I'm also hearing Champions is a great reason to go out of state and buy from a discounter.

I would suggest a case of.........

·
Registered
871 Posts
Thanks Red,

I guess I'll guess I'll just consider myself lucky...

My dealer did offer to take it back if I didn't like it and the bike had <50 miles...

Lance

·
Chard Member
12,975 Posts
Themobb said:
Thanks Red,

I guess I'll guess I'll just consider myself lucky...

My dealer did offer to take it back if I didn't like it and the bike had <50 miles...

Lance
Bought the '04 from the Honda dealer on N Fla. The bike had 300 miles on it with the wobble problem. The owner offered me $8,300 trade on another. Less than 50%. Stated he didn't want my problem. LMAO.... These bike dealerships that are spin offs of car dealerships are real pieces of work!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I'd try the simple things first...check the tire air pressure in both the front and back tires. Good luck! Dealers are notorious for not checking the simple things like tire pressure, oil level, rear end oil level, etc.

·
Registered
547 Posts
It sounds like this dealership is somewhere shy of totally reputable, but you probably didn't make matters any better by going back to the dealership and telling them that the solution to your wobble problem was a bunch of aftermarket parts.
Typically, the people that diagnose mechanical problems for a living like to do their own diagnosis, so you might have started out on the wrong foot with them.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
You bought a new GL1800. You have a severe wobble less than a mile into your ride from the dealership. Why didn't you turn around? I would have right there. Too late for that.

If the dealer said they'd check the tire pressure but will do nothing else - take it back. You don't need to be dealing with a severe wobble AND a dealer who won't do anything for you. You obviously didn't get a bargain on the price of the thing so it won't cost you more to go someplace else.

I'm serious. It's inconvenient I know but do you want to live with the problem or go through the headache from now on? The longer you wait, the more difficult it will be.

(I hope we aren't talking about the hands-off-the-bars 40-30 wobble here...)

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
THE OLD RUMORED WOBBLE SURFACES AGAIN

Hey Bass pro,
Lots of guys here will say they all do it but they don't. Mine never has had a wobble at any steady speed or a decel wobble from any speed with my hands on or off the grips. My advice: NIP IT IN THE BUD !!!! T. :shock:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok lete me clarify.....

I left the dealership at their closing time....I my self checked the pressure in the tires and asked them to put in 41 pounds front and rear and they did..I checked it with my digital meter.

I was headed home 75 miles away...late in the afternoon after a long day at work..and was pretty excited about getting my new flagship.

The thought did cross my mind in heavy traffic to go back, but I thought what the heck......I'll just drive it and maybe is a figment of my imagination. There is a slight amount of perceptible wobble when my hands are on the bars at slow speed...it is most pronounced at 40 mph.

So, I got on the interstate and at 85 set the cruise and took both hands off and it tracked well....very little wobble....but at the slow speed of 40 mph it is pretty severe...

Well, my thought now is to go to a closer dealer..and ask if they can do dynamic balancing.....if so give them a shot at that...

If after re balancing and still wobbles...go back to service dept and say..."What is Plan B?" Then they will probably say just drive it and it will work itself out as the new tires break themselves in......

Probably the old put off.....so, I just wanted to mention my plight ...not start a war here about my new problem...

The comment I made regarding hidden charges....included, GAP protection, and extended warranty which I did not plan to buy, shipping chrges of 389.00 to the store, and title fees of 75.00, 3.50 battery disposable fee..it is brand new.....to name a few...I guess everyone pays this ...just seemed like the dollars kept adding up....

So, maybe the joke is on me...but I waited a long time to get this high tech machine..and know I will love it when this wobble thing is cleared up....

Not looking for sympathy...but other comments on anyone who has been able to get their dealers to resolve this problem....

·
Registered
892 Posts
I guess this case can't be blamed on Metzeler tires!!!

Sorry you are having the problem. I have not experienced the "wobble" yet after 6000 miles on an 05.
It is usually nice to have things to look foward to. Not so sure about this one.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts