GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I had 2000+ miles left on my tires and before I knew it they were shot. I saw they were close to the wear bars but did not check the tire all the way around and on the sides - I'll pay more attention next time. When I took the rear off it was down to 22 pounds also.

Of course, same as last time, the wobble went away with the new tires but as last time I expect it to return with wear.

I also installed the Smart Tire system this time around so that will help me pay more attention to what is going on.

·
Registered
707 Posts
JokerGuy...

Left Tulsa with a 50% tire, Drove around Padre and Mustang island in 105-108 degree temps, and got back home with a tire that looked like yours with some extra blisters on the edge of the wear pattern. Corpus Christi is a hot place on the 4th of July! The last half of the tread goes fast,darn it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Holy Smokes!!!!! I wouldn't run tires like that on a lawnmower, much less a motorcycle. I guess I'm changing my tires out WAY too soon. I'll make you a good deal on the next set I take off. You would probably get another 6 or 7 thousand miles out of them!! GOOD LUCK!!!

·
Extra Spicy Seasoned Member
1,448 Posts
I had the same experience. Left on a multi state trip. Checked the tires every day for a few days and they looked OK but getting close to the wear bars. Then one morning there was cord showing in a spot. The rest of the tire looked good. Thank God that spot stopped in the right place that day. Thought the tires were rounder than that, but they aren't. Got to check more than one place on the tire.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I had the same surprise with a rear Avon. I was not even watching the tire that close because I only had about 6000 to 7000 miles on it. I was taking the rear panel off working towards the rear spring pre-load unit and had my "Oh SH#T" moment when I saw so much tire carcus. I guess I should have been grateful to find it at home in the garage instead of way out on a trip. I am glad I did not like the Avon since I would hate to put tires on that often. I ussually get 8k to 10k out of a rear tire and the rear tire ussually is only down to the wear bars.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Back when I was 19 I had a '57 Chevy ... got more traction in the snow after the cord started showing through the smooth rubber on the rear tires ... :lol:

You're only down to the first layer of cord ... how many layers are there ??? :lol:

·
1,448 Posts
Anyone old enough to remember blowout patches? When I was a lot younger and broke I ran a tire that had a hole all the way thru it. You could have put 2 fingers thru the hole. The blowout patch fit on the inside of the tire and was held in place by the tube.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Actually, Ted, those were called 'boots'. They were used a lot during WWII because of the tire and rubber shortage. Remember my dad talking about putting boots in tires because the tread separated or got busted. Thump, thump.

He came from the era of boots in tires, replaceable points on magnetos, motometers, riveted brake shoes, clincher rims, ten cent gas, ration cards, engine cranks, babbitt bearings, Indian scouts, Rajo heads, ad infinitum.....

·
1,448 Posts
Harry, I came from the same era. You are correct they were called boots.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
HEY HEY HEY... Lets not lead anyone to believe it was that long ago that Boots were used in tires..... ,

Yes I can remember them well. Growing up we had a hardware/gas station besides the farm in ND. I installed boots frequently back then. We also pathced Motorcycle tires.

I wasnt around during world war II, Boots were still being used all through the 60's and I imagine much longer.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Thanks Joseph, I was getting worried that these guys were putting another 10 years on my life. I remember 22 cent gas, but not a dime.

·
Registered
142 Posts
To Long

My Dad can remember when car engines had wooden pistons.

·
Registered
124 Posts
JokerGuy said:
I thought I had 2000+ miles left on my tires and before I knew it they were shot. I saw they were close to the wear bars but did not check the tire all the way around and on the sides - I'll pay more attention next time. When I took the rear off it was down to 22 pounds also.

Of course, same as last time, the wobble went away with the new tires but as last time I expect it to return with wear.

I also installed the Smart Tire system this time around so that will help me pay more attention to what is going on.
I have a tread depth gauge and record the remaining depth every 1,000 miles or so. Different tires have different wear profiles and I have found the Avons (bias on a Nomad) wore well at first and then disappeared quickly at the end. Many of the cord showing cases I have seen were on Avons. I stopped using them because I hate surprises.

The E3 radial is the opposite. It wears quickly to about 4/32nds and then just stops wearing for a long time. The old Elite II (this also on a Nomad) was pretty linear. I still don't have a good feel for the Metz (I'm on my first), but it looks pretty linear too.

The tread depth gauge cost me $3.00 and, since I figure tires=life, keeping track of the wear is right up there with daily tire pressure checks in keeping myself alive. I ride over 5,000 miles a month in season and these things can sneak up on you pretty quickly if you don't keep a close eye.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
have not looked for one lately but less that 10 years ago i ran a stob through a tractor tire and put a boot in it. Wwas still holding when i traded tractors. I think they are still around.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
It Pays to check them once a week! It's Kind Of Like a Box of Chocolates,You Never Know What You're Gonna Get "Find".

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
My God!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Just call you lucky!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all of the replys ........ for those of you that mentioned Avon ... this was in fact an Avon tire. It appears to be a softer compound, starting off with more tread than but wears quicker - but excellent grip.

I really liked the tire and that is what I put back on, I'll just have to be more responsible in watching wear.

I got about 12,000 miles out of the old one, I'll be happy with 10,000 out of the new one and no risk like I exposed myself too on the old one. I'll trade a long wear life for good grip anyday.

I like to save money if I can buying tires, but not by stretching their lives and risking mine :D

Bill

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
skid said:
I have a tread depth gauge and record the remaining depth every 1,000 miles or so......The tread depth gauge cost me $3.00 and, since I figure tires=life, keeping track of the wear is right up there with daily tire pressure checks in keeping myself alive.
+1 to that.

Very little of my riding is of the "around the flagpole" variety anymore. Unless it is for a short warm-up to keep things fresh, whenever I throw a leg over my Wing these days, it is usually going to be for over five thousand miles and over a month.

So, I need to know how long a tire will last. I measure the tread depth to the wear bars when the tire is new, this tells me how much "usable" rubber I've got to start with. Then, as Skid mentioned above, I measure the tread depth periodically as the miles pile up. By keeping a log of these measurements, I can figure out (by extrapolation) if the tire in question can make it through the next trip.

For Dunlop 250s, I find they wear better as the miles pile up. To be conservative, however, before a long trip, I assume the wear will be linear.

This doesn't always work. I recently discarded a front tire that had 4000 good miles left on it because I thought the next trip would be 6000 miles. We lost a job on the way and the trip ended up being only 4000 miles. This hurts when you are as cheap (and lazy) as I am! :cry:

IHTH someone!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts