GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Wing with no immediate plans to trike it. However, I'd love to buy my wife a trike, and will certainly end up with a trike eventually. But as to what brand or features, I have no idea. So, convince me! Tell me why YOUR trike is better. Tell me the features I MUST HAVE on mine. Tell me the best trike for a woman, if there is such a thing. Tell me what I should avoid or be wary of. And I want photos, please. I love photos because a trike should be beautiful.

The little I know is the Champions look very wide, which I don't like as much. At the same time, you would think the narrower looking ones would have less storage and be less stable in curves. But honestly, I don't know enough to have a strong opinion. I do know that THIS RoadSmith sure looks nice.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
I have a 2012 Wing with no immediate plans to trike it. However, I'd love to buy my wife a trike, and will certainly end up with a trike eventually. But as to what brand or features, I have no idea. So, convince me! Tell me why YOUR trike is better. Tell me the features I MUST HAVE on mine. Tell me the best trike for a woman, if there is such a thing. Tell me what I should avoid or be wary of. And I want photos, please. I love photos because a trike should be beautiful.

The little I know is the Champions look very wide, which I don't like as much. At the same time, you would think the narrower looking ones would have less storage and be less stable in curves. But honestly, I don't know enough to have a strong opinion. I do know that THIS RoadSmith sure looks nice.
Use of the search featyreon this and the Trike Talk sites will yeild tons of opinions as well as a little useful information.

·
Registered
466 Posts
2010 California Sidecar Cobra XL

DSCN0224.JPG DSCN0229.JPG DSCN0230.JPG 2010 Hot Rod Pearl Yellow, aqua shields, performance brakes, auxiliary gas tank, rear chrome matching wheels, chrome wheel well trim, carpeted trunk with light, trailer hitch and to make it perfect it is mated to a GL 1800 Goldwing.

CLICK ON PHOTO TO ENLARGE

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sweet. The matching helmet and chrome really pull the Cobra together.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I'm partial to the Hannigan Trike, stable in the corners and rides as good as any luxury car on the road. It needs VERY little maintenance and has a large trunk, also aux. fuel tank. Since the pic was taken I changed the baker air wings to the clear models.

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
I'm partial to the Hannigan Trike, stable in the corners and rides as good as any luxury car on the road. It needs VERY little maintenance and has a large trunk, also aux. fuel tank. Since the pic was taken I changed the baker air wings to the clear models.
While I wouldn't compare the "ride" with a luxury car, <g> I too am partial to the Hannigan, having owned three trikes and having ridden most of the others currently available. As you noted, the Hanniganis straight forward and needs little service. I also like the fact that most of the parts needed to keep it on the road are available through automotive parts houses at automotive rather than propriatary trike kit suppliers' prices. My other favorites are DFT and RoadSmith. Of course it comes down to what floats ones' boat. None are bad,...just different.

·
Registered
483 Posts

I am in the same boat as you, CruiseControl, except I may have to trike my bike soon if I am going to get any riding in this year. I have got zero miles so far this year because of a double level discectomy and fusion of the C-6-7 & T-1 vertebra and I am restricted from riding motorcycles until after my next visit with the surgeon the end of October. Then I will find out what restrictions I have after that. I hate the thought of it, but turning the bike into a trike seems to be inevitable.
Has anyone bought a kit and done the instal themself?
I was wondering the same thing. Has anyone done the kit install themselves, and is there any cost savings by doing the install in the home workshop? I have the overhead hoist, lots of tools, the ability to fabricate specialized tools and even though I am physically restricted, I have the persistence to get 'er done!! It just may take me a little bit longer than others to accomplish this.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Here is a picture of my old 02 with a DFT conversion. You guys make me feel like I have a classic with all these new trikes.

DFT For Sale Pics 024.jpg DFT For Sale Pics 002.jpg

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
trike

Has anyone bought a kit and done the instal themself?
In 2012, after my Dad and I got back from Alaska and the Arctic Circle, we had ridden in all U.S. states except Hawaii with no trailers or rentals. A Champion SA kit was waiting in my barn when we got home. After having it professionally painted to match his custom color, we put the kit together in a weekend for roughly $8300 including floor boards, carpeted trunk, trailer hitch and EZ steer kit. That was two calendar years ago which is about 12 months of riding. My Dad has 30, 000 trouble free miles on the trike including another trip up to Alaska this past June and then back out to Sturgis.
Trikes are great !

Kurt

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Well I'm gong to give you a completely different answer that the others. I've read most of them but probably missed the important one. Search the web and look at all the different manufactures and see was looks/sounds good. Then call each one you think you would want or even all of them. Then ask them to explain WHY you would want their kit and listen real close. After that see if you can find a place that sells more than one brand of kit that will let you test ride them and try and ride the exact same route the same way and I bet you will make up your mind real quick. I know I did. I was lucky enough to be able to go to Honda of Russellville and test ride them there. I was almost 100% convinced I wanted a Roadsmith but at the end of the day I left the dealer with a new '13 Hannigan Gen II. To me it just rode better for some reason. Keep your mind open until you are convinced and remember it's like buying a Ford or Chevy they are all good just some are better for you. Good Luck. JMHO

·
Registered
330 Posts
Brag about your trike

Here is my 2008 GW with 2010 RoadSmith trike kit. Just about every option you can add to the bike and the trike kit including spare fuel tank and aquashields, also optional 17 inch rear wheels. Currently 65000 miles and no problems at all.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts