GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently decided to flush and bleed brakes and clutch on my level 3. Had 10,000 miles and was just over 2 years old. Purchased a MityVac to help me do the job by myself. The mityvac worked somewhat but started leaking air around the hose connections and would not hold a vacuum more than a few seconds. Soon as I fabricated a hose clamp to fix one air leak, another would surface. It soon became frustrating. I decided to order some "speedbleeders" that I had read about on the forum. I installed them, including one for the clutch, and they worked beautifully. No mess, no fuss and a one man job. The brakes and the clutch are firmer and work better now than they ever did, even when brand new. Can't say enough about them.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Many here have been there too.... Purchase the speed bleeders and wha-lah... mine work great too!

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
:thumbup:
Speedbleeders just make the process so much easier.

I recently decided to flush and bleed brakes and clutch on my level 3. Had 10,000 miles and was just over 2 years old. Purchased a MityVac to help me do the job by myself. The mityvac worked somewhat but started leaking air around the hose connections and would not hold a vacuum more than a few seconds. Soon as I fabricated a hose clamp to fix one air leak, another would surface. It soon became frustrating. I decided to order some "speedbleeders" that I had read about on the forum. I installed them, including one for the clutch, and they worked beautifully. No mess, no fuss and a one man job. The brakes and the clutch are firmer and work better now than they ever did, even when brand new. Can't say enough about them.

·
Banned
792 Posts
I am curious why with a bike 2 years old and 10,000 miles you would need to do this in the first place. Seems a bit premature in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
After about 10k miles in 6 months last year, the color of the fluid in my rear brake reservoir had turned pretty dark. The front was still clear (I had changed them both at the same time over the winter). So I replaced the fluid in the rear brake pedal system. Now I normally do it every year after 20k miles but for some reason, there was more contamination of the fluid in a shorter period last year. I just keep an eye on the fluid color and go from there.

Honda recommends 12k or every 2 years. Just keep an eye on it, if the fluid has a nice clear look, then you're okay. If not, replace it. Don't just ignore it because you think it should go longer. Different riding conditions, different weather, etc can make a big difference in how quickly the fluid absorbs moisture and becomes contaminated.

I am curious why with a bike 2 years old and 10,000 miles you would need to do this in the first place. Seems a bit premature in my opinion.

·
Banned
792 Posts
After about 10k miles in 6 months last year, the color of the fluid in my rear brake reservoir had turned pretty dark. The front was still clear (I had changed them both at the same time over the winter). So I replaced the fluid in the rear brake pedal system. Now I normally do it every year after 20k miles but for some reason, there was more contamination of the fluid in a shorter period last year. I just keep an eye on the fluid color and go from there.

Honda recommends 12k or every 2 years. Just keep an eye on it, if the fluid has a nice clear look, then you're okay. If not, replace it. Don't just ignore it because you think it should go longer. Different riding conditions, different weather, etc can make a big difference in how quickly the fluid absorbs moisture and becomes contaminated.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
293 Posts
I am glad to hear this, I have my order of Speedbleeders setting at the house awaiting my doing a bunch of work on my 2012, got 20k on her and it is time to do it.

Gunna do all of the fluids, Air filter, Tripple Trees, Stem Bearings, PMT's, Fork Seals, Guide and Slider Bushings, just awaiting on a new Fork Brace, I cannot decide on which one to purchase. :shrug:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts