GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to change the brake and clutch fluid on my 2004, and maybe I'm tired, but for the life of me I couldn't find in the service manual any info about the capacities of the brake and clutch systems.

Would anybody care to share how much DOT4 would I need to buy to have a safe limit for the job?

Thanks and sorry if the info was listed somewhere.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I agree with Red. I buy two 16 ounce cans, only because they are easier to pour from.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Yep. Gotta go along with Red and Ed.
The dealer bled the brakes (all of them) after installing the Traxxion system
and he went through a 16 ounce can and half of another.
Probably was a little wasteful and might have made it on one can,
but not a good idea to run out just about when you're getting it right.:)
DC

·
Registered
636 Posts
I recently did mine and collected all the expelled fluid. When I was done i had almost 24 oz. of old fluid collected. This is probably way too much. But since I didn't know the capacity of the system and can't really tell when the fluid being expelled from the bleed valve changes color to new fluid I just pumped fluid out until I refilled the reservoir twice.

I recently changed the brake lines on my VStar 1100 and measured the fluid that I sucked out: 4 oz. on the front and 2 oz. on the rear. I wish I had done this on the Wing the first time I replaced the fluid. That time I sucked out all the old fluid then refilled the system.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts