GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to me '03, no brake work yet...plenty of meat on the friction part.

I happened to look down there this evening and saw some backing paper has slipped out from behind the pads. It appears to be about 4 layers of woven material pressed together that I presume it sitting between the shim and the pad?

Why they are coming out frontways, I have no idea, but is there anything I need to do about this?

Attachments

·
Registered
878 Posts
Just removing the one screw allows you to remove the pads... I'd be pulling em out and have a look see at em... None of the pads I have ever used had any kind of paper backing on em... Get a good set of EBC double HH or OEM Honda pads on her and you'll be amazed at the difference in stopping power...
The rear brake pads are thicker than are the front pads... The shims you see might be the PO's attempt at using front pads on the rear...

·
Vendor
18,126 Posts
Those should be immediatly pulled, inspected for a cliper problem, and replaced. Look for unevenness of heal/toe wear and that the caliper slides in/out easily. Make sure you put in Honda line pads.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Greg,

Are you familiar with this woven pad?

I will open it up and get a look, though I have observed no issues with braking.

Is there a way to identify what brand/type of pad they are? That is, will I be able to tell if they are OEM pads?

·
Registered
21,054 Posts
wow that sure looks serious, are u sure the pads are not completly worn off and all thats left is the backing plate ? i would not plan on riding anywhere untill this issue is resolved

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is lots of meat left on the pad. This is just some paper-like material that I presume served some noise-prevention purpose for potential shim vibrations, akin to anti-squeal grease.

I'll know more tonight.

·
Registered
21,054 Posts
the picture must be decieving, to me it looks like metal with rust on it, and even the brake rotor looks rusted but that sure doesn't seem posible if you have been riding it the past few days

Ed Z said it kinda looks like the backing from a front brakepad set that was used on the rear and that sounds possible, it will be interesting to learn for sure exactly whats going on :thumbup:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the picture must be decieving, to me it looks like metal with rust on it, and even the brake rotor looks rusted but that sure doesn't seem posible if you have been riding it the past few days

Ed Z said it kinda looks like the backing from a front brakepad set that was used on the rear and that sounds possible, it will be interesting to learn for sure exactly whats going on :thumbup:
The whitish stuff hanging out is a thin 'pad' of about 4 layers of woven something that is paper-like. It tears quite easily and you can separate the layers.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
I know that you say backing but one can interpret that differently. You don't say which caliper either. All three are different as the left front works the ADV and the right front is "solid" as is the rear which is not a front.

It looks as if this "backing" covered the entire metal part of the pad because it has that "hook" which is a torn hole where the pin went through it. Is there anyway you can contact the person who installed them??

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry I didn't state this outright....this is the rear caliper. Front of the bike is to the right.

P.O. stated all services done at JBJ Cycles, and no, I'm not going to call them about this. I can't imagine trying to explain over the phone, especially after the A-hole treatment I got from them when I called before for history of any major repairs on the bike.

I'll take the pads out tonight and see what's what.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Those are after market shims or pads that some people put on to try and stop the rear brake shutter which is common on most or all GL1800's when the temp outside is above 90 and the brakes get warm. They are sticky on one side and you cut them to the shape of the pad. Remove them and re-install the rear pads.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cowboy's right...it's an anti-squeal (or anti-whatever) pad between the shim and the brake pad.

As long as I've got some attention on this, might as well put new pads.

Thanks guys.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts