GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my problem. I installed new brake pads and speed bleeders. Now I can not get and pressure to build up on the hand lever, I pull and it goes all the way to the bar. If I have air in the lines, how do I get it out? I have pulled and pulled and pulled, nothing.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Ya taint using coolant are you? :lol:

Most likely you let the master drain while playing around, you will have to prime the master. Wrap a rag around the master and the banjo bolt where the line attaches, fill the master then crack the banjo nut, get some fluid pushed down into that, keep the bleeder wide open, gradually work fluid into the line again. Once you get flow at the banjo you can secure that and then keeping the master full gradually fill the line.......then use standard technique to get all the air out.

Or.......you can use a vacuum bleeder, crack the lever halfway and pull fluid through it. That is the easiest way if you have one.

You have air in the master........you can pump all day and do nothing till that air is gone.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did the banjo bolt bleed and am now getting fluid through the bleeders but can not get it to build up any pressure. Filled the reservoir 3 times, lever still goes all the way in with very little to no resistance.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I had the same problem a little while back. Someone suggested only opening the speed bleeder a slight bit to keep air from sucking thru the threads. Mine problem was on the pedal end, but with the suggestions I received it wasn't a difficult fix. Good luck!

PS: I think that there is a "rocky" bleed that might be needed for the front. I found it with a quick "search", but fortunately didn't need it

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I did the banjo bolt bleed and am now getting fluid through the bleeders but can not get it to build up any pressure. Filled the reservoir 3 times, lever still goes all the way in with very little to no resistance.
Tuff to get the air out of the master sometimes. This is why I like a vacuum bleeder. You still have air in the master, it is not pushing fluid, but air.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tuff to get the air out of the master sometimes. This is why I like a vacuum bleeder. You still have air in the master, it is not pushing fluid, but air.
I have a mighty vac, can it be reverse filled, or just put a little vacuum on it and pull it through.

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
When my airplane would do that, the only way I could get a pedal back was pumping the fluid backwards from the bleeder back up to the reservoir.

Dennis

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I have a mighty vac, can it be reverse filled, or just put a little vacuum on it and pull it through.
I would put a vacuum on it and pull fluid into the system. Trying to reverse fill with pressure would be hazardous on a motorcycle due to brake fluid on the paint..........it will eat it alive.

A master can be stubborn when it gets air in it, very hard to get it out without priming it on the bench. Really takes two people, one to run the vaccum if you have the mighty mite.......one to work the lever and keep the master full, till you do get the air bubble out of the plunger chamber.

·
Registered
157 Posts
here's a way to get the air out and im surprised no one has made these for sale take a extra master cylinder cover and drill a hole in it tap and install a fitting so the mighty vac can be installed, then install on the master cyclinder and put vac to it, it should pull out the air out that's in the system.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
here's a way to get the air out and im surprised no one has made these for sale take a extra master cylinder cover and drill a hole in it tap and install a fitting so the mighty vac can be installed, then install on the master cyclinder and put vac to it, it should pull out the air out that's in the system.
:thumbup:That is brilliant. Please do not forget it, so when I get old and memory loss sets in you can remind me. :lol:

·
Registered
687 Posts
I recently had to refill an empty clutch resevoire (sp). It took over an hour of squeezing and opening the bleeder valve before I got it filled and working. Keep at it. If you have to keep adding fluid, it is going into the line.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Has anyone ever used a pressure bleeder on the system? Not overly complicated to make, but not sure if I want to go through the trouble of getting the parts together if its not going to net any positive results.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would put a vacuum on it and pull fluid into the system. Trying to reverse fill with pressure would be hazardous on a motorcycle due to brake fluid on the paint..........it will eat it alive.

A master can be stubborn when it gets air in it, very hard to get it out without priming it on the bench. Really takes two people, one to run the vaccum if you have the mighty mite.......one to work the lever and keep the master full, till you do get the air bubble out of the plunger chamber.
Getting some pressure now, but ran out of fluid so I called it a day.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Make SURE dem der fancy speed bleeders aren't sucking in air around the threads or any where else. I would even go so far to say if necessary, go back to the OEM bleeders to get all of the air out.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
And what does Honda Recommend?!?!?!

Honda's first method of replacing brake fluid states to drain the system! That is NUTS! Their alternative method is the tried and true and the tried and true is stated as necessary following their first method as a means to bleed the air. Just plain nuts! I recall a post by Red long ago warning folks to NOT drain the system as step one. Heed his sage advice for sure. Kit is right, losing prime on a maser can present a challenge.

prs

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This may be hard to believe but I went out and grabbed the brake lever this morning just for the heck of it and guess what. It had pressure almost like normal.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
This may be hard to believe but I went out and grabbed the brake lever this morning just for the heck of it and guess what. It had pressure almost like normal.
Can't argue with that!

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
The elves took pity on ya.

prs

1 - 20 of 32 Posts