GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my 01 used, had 35,000 miles, now has 52,000. Decided it was time to flush the brake fluid since I have no idea if its ever been done. After reading a few posts I ordered as set of Speed Bleeders, takes 7 of them for front and rear brakes. I also bought the tube and bag. WOW!! It made it SO easy to change. Watch Fred go through the process and wrote down the sequence. Put the tube on the Speed Bleeder, open it 1/4 turn and then start working the levers while maintaining fluid level. Went through the sequence and all is well. If you have watched Fred on the videos its pretty tricky to do it by yourself with the stock bleeders, but with the Speed Bleeders, no problem. I highly recommend them, they worked great!!

Disclaimer: I have no connections with Speed Bleeders, only passing on my experience with the product.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Good to hear because I just received my Speed Bleeders from Hal and will be performing the job this weekend.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Don't forget to flush the fluid in the clutch system also.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bleeding

yup, next on my list.

·
Registered
948 Posts
++1 on Speed Bleeders. Had mine for about a year, now, and they are the cat's meow. Makes the job easy and clean, especially with the tube and bag setup. :yes1::yes:

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Don't forget to flush the fluid in the clutch system also.

Yes, 7 Speed Bleeders for the brakes and the 8th goes on the clutch line.
Definitely get the plastic bag and tube to use for the old fluid. It makes for a really clean and simple along with quick job.

DaleC

·
Registered
948 Posts
Just replace them and then bleed them; I replaced all of my fluid when I installed them. Fluid should be replaced at regular intervals; I do mine once a year. Not expensive and, with the speedbleeders, it's fast.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Try a 2' clear rubber hose that fits bleeder tight and a empty plastic peanut butter jar with a hole drilled in top for hose. You can change fluid from all 8 bleeders without dumping or holding bag !

·
Registered
948 Posts
You can change fluid from all 8 bleeders without dumping or holding bag !
Just a note about the hose, whether you use a bag or a jar. If you will elevate the hose(I loop mine up and then down into the bag), you will be able to see any air bubbles as you bleed.

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
I have never seen or used these 'speed bleeders.' How big are they and how many do you need in total on the GL1800? Once they are on, do you just leave them attached? Thanks. :popcorn:

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bleeders

They are same size as OEM, you leave them in place once they are installed. It takes 7 bleeders for the brakes and I believe one more for the clutch.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I use the motion pro but it can still take 2 people. This tool needs to be kept in an upright position in order to work. I like it because I have 3 trucks and 2 bikes to keep after and this is much cheaper than speed bleeders. Besides my wife is much better at pouring the brake fluid without spilling then I am and she has become an expert on brake bleeding. So I just lay on the floor and holler pump it!

·
Registered
819 Posts
I like it because I have 3 trucks and 2 bikes to keep after and this is much cheaper than speed bleeders.
Sure but this isn't an expensive mod. Anyone with enough money to ride a GL1800 is likely to find Speedbleeders a worthwhile improvement for the money.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I use the motion pro but it can still take 2 people.
If you use a tube with a bag or jar you can attach the tube and route it up and then down into the container. On the front, I hang the bag over the forks, then attach the tube to whatever bleeder nipple I'm bleeding. On the rear, I just hang (or loop) it so that the tube is higher than the nipple and the container. Never need any assistance.

·
Registered
143 Posts
If I remember correctly the OEM bleeders are different sizes (a couple different part numbers) and I think some require 8mm wrench and some 10mm. On Hal's site he only lists one size sold in pairs. Will buying 8 (7 for brakes and 1 for clutch) all fit? Sorry, just wanted to make sure I'm ordering the right thing.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Yes, there is one or two that uses a 10 mm wrench, but the threads are all the same; don't know why Honda did that, but the 8 mm Speedbleeders all work fine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts