GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HAVE BRAKE CHATTER WHEN TEMP's EXTREMLY HIGH AND OR IN HEAVY STOP & GO TRAFFIC.
HONDA HAS REPLACED, SO FAR, THREE ROTORS, DIVERSION VALVE, SECONDARY MASTER CYCINDER AND THE LEFT FORK TUBE ASSY.
THIS DOES NOT FIX THE PROBLEM.
THIS STARTED MAY OF '03 WITH 17000 MILES ON SPEDO. THE BIKE NOW HAS 42000 AND STILL HAS NOT BEEN RESOLVED.
THE FORK TUBE ASSY WAS REPLACED THURS, FEB 19 '04. STARTED CHATTERING ON THE 21st.
REAR SECTION OF FRONT FENDER HAS ALSO CRACKED FROM THE HEAVY CHATTER.
NOISES EMITTING FROM THE REAR, BUT CHATTER EXTENDS TO THE FRONT WHEEL ASSY.
HONDA IS REPLACING THE FENDER SECTION.
ONE OTHER 1800 IN DAYTONA AREA IS EXPERIENCING THE SAME PROBLEM
ANY OTHERS OUT THERE????
DICK
[email protected] :roll:

·
Vendor
22,240 Posts
Steve Aylor is also having this problem. Honda has replaced just about every component in the system, except the rotors. Most recently they replaced the left lower fork leg, which I don't understand how it could cause the problem. One of the tests the tech line said to do was to disable the anti-dive valve and see if the problem stops.

I don't have a clue what is going on here. Sounds awful strange. I wonder if it could be something as simple as a bent front axle? Or a rotor that warps when it gets warm? Dunno, but it sounds like an interesting problem.

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
I thought that these types of symptoms were due to the use of "floating" calipers... Kind of tough to fix that...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Brake-shudder

I've been having identical brake-shudder symptoms on my '02 non-ABS since "delivery". I asked a question about other's with the symptoms on this and other sites, as you have, and received a reply from another owner, who'd been battling it on his '02 as-well.

In his last note to me on 28-October last year, he said; "On Saturday, October 25th I received a new 2003 Candy Orange ABS (my first choice of color for an '03 model) and [Honda] upgraded me to the ABS model at no charge. They are also reimbursing for all my accessories that were not able to swap over due to adhesive, drill mount or color match. My '02 model is apparently being sent to Ohio and then maybe to Japan to R&D. It took them 100 calendar days to get this accomplished but at least they did indeed stand behind the product."

I continue to have the problem, most acutely when the outside temperatures are "hot". I live in sunny Phoenix, so that's about 8-mos per year. I will also add, to-date Honda has not shown me anything resembling the level of interest my friend, above, received in the end. But I truly belive Dane's success comes directly from the "squeeky-wheel" principle. He would NOT leave his dealership, nor Honda of North America, alone. I guess the message is "don't give up", and I'll also suggest you include my name as another owner suffering the symptoms> I suggest this should your dealer or the Honda area Rep suggest "you're the only case we've seen". (Like mine has.)

Contact me via e-mail if you'd like to discuss it further.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Brake-Shudder

One other point I neglected to mention; one theory we had discussed prior to Dane's bike being swapped-out by Honda for research, was the shudder may be associated with heating the fluid in the rear brake-line. The rear primary line runs parallel and near the exhaust system. In model-year '03 and subsequent Honda installed a baffle between the exhaust and that brake-line. I attempted to insulate the line on my '02, but it's too tight to really do much. A little more food-for-thought.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had the problem with my 01.. fixed by making sure the left front caliper was tightened to spec and the trunion brgs. lubed. This caliper is supossed to float loose and only 23 ft lbs. torque so it can move to acivate the system....Mine started when shop tightened to 60 ft. lbs. instead of reading the book. try it ....it can't hurt to check it.....You should be able to move the brake caliper with your hand back and forth to move the linkage. Let me know if it helps you out. read in the book for more information.. Lee in az.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I had some brake chatter, but was only under hard braking, found the steering head bearing loose. They became loose again that time just replaced with tapered bearings, hope that's the end of that problem. Any way, just a thought, Steering head bearing tight??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts