GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
My current ride a 2007 Goldwing is the only bike in my life that I have changed brake fluid in. I changed it at 36K and now have 105K on it. Everything works fine and the fluid looks a nice light color. I see no reason to change it again unless the fluid darkens or I have a problem. I have changed the clutch fluid a couple of times. Coolant gets changed about every three years. Like a previous poster stated you do not get all the fluid out anyhow by conventional bleeding. I have been riding 45 years and never had a problem with brake fluid. Just my thoughts guys.

Fred

·
Registered
104 Posts
With thorough bleeding there is no reason you can't replace ALL the fluid. And all brake fluid absorbs moisture which is why you flush and bleed. A cycle system is small so moisture absorption has a larger affect on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
Wondering why this is required, never heard of anyone doing it with there there cars. had a few cars i put over 100,000 never changed brake fluid, why are motorcycles different? I know its no big deal and cost vary little but just cant help but wonder if its really nessary;)

Newer cars with antilock systems and the associated pumps and valves are very critical in having clean fresh fluid. Older cars should have had fluid changes also but wasn't as noticeable. On a three year old car after a flush and fill there is a significant change in pedal firmness. Just because it didn't used to be done didn't mean it shouldn't be. Lots of technology changes

·
Registered
104 Posts
:flg:.

Yes, Laen is correct again, There are those on here who never change the fluids.

Present bike, 2001 GL-1800, 222,000 miles, original brake and clutch fluids. Change oil every 15,000 miles. Have not checked valves yet.

Previous bike, 1988 GL-1500, 296,000 miles, sold with original brake and clutch fluids, changed oil every 15,000 miles, Replaced cam belts once !!

Previous, 1975 GL1000, 1980 Gl1100, 1985 GL1200ltd.. All with over 200k on them accept the 1985 and it had just under 200k... They all were running just fine when I sold them. The 1975 required a lot of valve adjustments and all the belt driven ones required new belts.

So as laen says " I am just fooling myself"

Sorry for being such a fool guys !!

PS, my old van, 1993 Mercury Villager, 280,000 miles, Never changed fluids in it either and do extended oil changes. Of course it is rusting out in places LOL.

JMHO :rolleyes:

:flg:

There are also gentlemen that get lucky (wink)

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
That was a great question: I myself learned a few reasons to replace....
Thank you!

Ronnie

·
Registered
104 Posts
NJREF-Yes there is friction between the brake pads and rotors....but the brake FLUID is not making contact with the rotors and pads....how does the brake fluid in the lines get so hot??

From the pistons that push the pads to make contact with the rotors. Brake fluid pushes the piston and that is where the transfer of heat occurs.

The heat is transferred through caliper parts just like hot coffee through the side of a cup

21 - 26 of 26 Posts