GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering a camper. How hard is it to hook up the electric brake controller on the bike?

mike

·
Extra Spicy Seasoned Member
1,448 Posts
The toughest part will be finding a place to mount it. Once you have it set up you won't have to fiddle with it. But you will have to be able to get at it to do the initial adjustments. Look around for the smallest one you can find. Check out how sensitive they are to their mounting position, some need to very close to horizontal. I put mine in the RH fairing pocket, have seen them in the top trunk. Then you just have to gain access to the brake signal.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ted, is the brake signal light that you refer to?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Brake Controller

You might consider the Jordan Research "Activator". This is a constant current controller. Fits nicely in the right fairing pocked.[/list]

·
1,448 Posts
The easiest place to gain access to a wire that is hot when you activate the brakes will do.

·
1,448 Posts
Might add one word of caution. Learn how, if you don't know already, to adjust the brake shoes so they have the correct spacing to the drums. Brakes that are adjusted too loose can have a tendency to lock up during an abrupt bounce of the trailer. Don't ask me how I know this, please. It can be avoided by keeping them adjusted properly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts