GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have installed new pads on my wing before with no problem, this time however the front pads where so tight after installation that I could barely roll the bike. I flushed the brake system with fresh fluid and that has made it better, the rear wheel spins freely but it still takes considerable effort to spin front wheel by hand.

The pistons in the front callipers are sticking out about 1/16" to maybe 3/32" from the calliper body when the brakes are released, is this correct or should they retract even further?

The brakes where working fine before, just needed new pads. Any and all thoughts and suggestions will be appreciated, Larry

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
A common problem is not getting the top of the pad seated in the caliper.

Fred shows how to do this by shifting the caliper on it's pins.

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/brakepads

If after installing new pads and pumping up the lever, you can't spin the wheel 3-4 revolutions, the brakes are too tight.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Did you clean the pistons and then push them all the way back in before buttoning everything back up?

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Did you clean the pistons and then push them all the way back in before buttoning everything back up?
+10 Grit, a sticky chunk of pavement, or any obstruction stuck to the piston when you push it in can cause it to seize. You can fix that pretty easy by once again removing the pads and extending carefully the pistons and scrub them with a ScotchBrite pad and some Brakleen.

·
Registered
119 Posts
It could be..

You may have installed a rear set of pads on the front.

If you used the "specified" pad thicknesses, the rear is suposed to be thicker than the fronts.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Have you added brake fluid when the old pads were still installed? May not be "room" enough for the new pads.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
You may have installed a rear set of pads on the front.

If you used the "specified" pad thicknesses, the rear is suposed to be thicker than the fronts.

Just a thought.
I would check his idea first!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts