GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
two months ago I bought an 06 that only had 330 miles on it and after a I drove it a few hundred miles there was a lot of brake dust on the rear wheel.I cleaned it up and again it is covered in brake dust.Is this noramal I know I had an 1100 but it wouldnt get that dusty so quick.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
TONS of black dust all over my 2002 Yellow ... especially around the rear ... don't think it's all brake dust though ... :shrug:

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
two months ago I bought an 06 that only had 330 miles on it and after a I drove it a few hundred miles there was a lot of brake dust on the rear wheel.I cleaned it up and again it is covered in brake dust.Is this noramal I know I had an 1100 but it wouldnt get that dusty so quick.
You can eliminate some of the dust by going with different pads. These might work ( I have a set but haven't put them on the front yet). http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=6774&str=4
However, you might reduce brake dust at the expense of premature rotor wear..that is yet to be seen by me, but makes sense.

Whatever you do, stay on top of it or the dust will make a mess out of your wheels that may take a few hours per wheel to correct (polish).

Another (not too expensive) alternative is to have your wheels powder coated. I only paid $50 per wheel to have mine done.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,001 Posts
You can wash the bike and wheels and within 50 miles there will be a layer of brake dust on the rear wheel again.....it's normal with this bike. If you want your wheels to always look nice you have to wash the wheels alot. I usually wash my bike after every weekend of riding to make sure my chrome wheels don't sit with brake dust laying on them for any length of time....that brake dust promotes pitting on the stock bare aluminum wheels and chrome wheels.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts