GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I clean my aluminium rims religiously every two weeks during the riding season.
Today I'm in the process of cleaning/waxing/oil change etc. on my GL1800 for winter storage. :cry: ( Very sad day) (I hate winter)

But the brake dust on the rims really confuses me. :?:

I clean they spotlessly with soap and water, and when I apply the wax with a soft cotton pad, the pad turns black as coal from MORE dust.

Is there that much brake dust imbeded in the aluminium suface, and how do you get it all off completely??

Cheers !

·
Registered
750 Posts
I may be mistaken, but I believe that black you are talking about is actually aluminum materal you're removing from the rim when you use a polish/wax. Where are the CHEMISTS on this board to explain this???

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
papa benny said:
I may be mistaken, but I believe that black you are talking about is actually aluminum materal you're removing from the rim when you use a polish/wax. Where are the CHEMISTS on this board to explain this???
I'm not a Chemist, nor do I play one on television, but aluminum does oxidize very quickly. The 1800 rims, to the best of my knowledge, are not "coated" at the factory to reduce this effect and will create the "Black Stain" on your polishing cloth almost ever time you polish them up.

I chromed my wheels, much easier to keep clean, bright and shiny :!:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
papa benny,

I'm no chemist but you sir are correct. He can polish them till they are gone and the cloth will always be black but not from brake dust.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
After you clean and polish your rims, put a coat of Rejex on them. I do it on both my bikes and my boy puts it on his rims on his truck. Works real well, just wipe them off with a damp rag. 8)

http://www.corrosionx.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A big thanks guys.
Now I know it isn't brake dust.
I thought I was losing it there for awhile.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I too clean my wheels, but on my front wheel it looks like there are splotches or stains. What can you use to clean this?

Thanks for your thoughts

Loren

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could it be a lubricate they use to mount tires.

The last time I had new tires put on, I notice stains on the rims, and clean them up as so as I got home.

·
Registered
19,457 Posts
jniles said:
papa benny,

I'm no chemist but you sir are correct. He can polish them till they are gone and the cloth will always be black but not from brake dust.
Have you stayed at a Holiday Inn ?????????

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
It's oxidized aluminum you're removing when you polish them out. I've had many cars and a couple of boat trailers with aluminum wheels also, unfortunately this is the norm. T.: :cry:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Big Wes said:
After you clean and polish your rims, put a coat of Rejex on them. I do it on both my bikes and my boy puts it on his rims on his truck. Works real well, just wipe them off with a damp rag. 8)

Do you use Rejex on the rest of your bike?

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
tvbveb said:
It's oxidized aluminum you're removing when you polish them out. I've had many cars and a couple of boats with aluminum wheels also, unfortunately this is the norm. T.: :cry:
Why does your boat have wheels :?: :?: :?: :twisted: :lol:

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
NovellRed said:
Big Wes said:

Do you use Rejex on the rest of your bike?

Yes 8)

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
pshivers said:
tvbveb said:
It's oxidized aluminum you're removing when you polish them out. I've had many cars and a couple of boats with aluminum wheels also, unfortunately this is the norm. T.: :cry:
Okay, boat trailer wheels, smartguy!! T.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
lorenedopp said:
I too clean my wheels, but on my front wheel it looks like there are splotches or stains. What can you use to clean this?
Loren
Don't know if the stains are the same type but, my riding buddy says he has used a lot of products to remove small stains from the wheels and the only thing he has found that works is Meguiars Cleaner-Wax. He insisted I take some, thinking I cared. I've been too lazy to try it. Do people really get down and look at your wheels that close?

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
tvbveb said:
pshivers said:
tvbveb said:
Okay, boat trailer wheels, smartguy!! T.
Ok, thanks for clearing that up for me! :wink:

I was wondering if maybe this was your boat :?: :?:

:lol:

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I hate having to polish the wheels on both the Wing as well as the V rod. I wish there was an easier solution short of chroming. I keep leaning towards chroming but then once I get the money set aside it tends to burn a hole in my pocket causing me to spend it on the stock market. I have this gut feeling I will hate myself for spending the money on chrome raher than on making money. So is there anything out there that works and isnt an all day chore?

I've read that Simple Green now has an aluminum friendly product.
http://industrial.simplegreen.com/ind_prod_ext.php

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/c ... -00809.php

Does anyone here have any first hand knowledge of this product? I think I'm going to go ahead and order a some and see if its worth the time and money.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts