GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 600 miles on a new '08 and I notice a pretty thick layer of brake dust on each wheel after a 100 mile ride. I don't remember there being that much dust from either of my other bikes when they were new. Will this decrease as the pads "seat"? Also the rotors never seem to be hot. Sometimes the rear is a little warm buy no more than any other bike I have had. On a related question how is the best way to cleane the wheels? I am already getting the dreaded spots that are almost impossible to deal with. :shock:

·
Registered
472 Posts
The dust may decrease some, but it'll always be there, gotta clean em after most longer rides. You'll get a lot of suggestions here on what to use. Let mine get away from me somewhat on my 03. Sorry I did. Gonna get my 07's chromed soon.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I wipe brake dust off of each rim with a microfiber cloth after every ride. Brake dust can be very corrosive if not removed. Regardless of how short the ride is, I always fine brake dust on the rims.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
This bike produces more brake dust then any I have seen. The rear is much worse than the front. The only options are to wipe it off after each ride, or ignore it and once a year polish the pits out. I have chrome wheels and wipe them off each time as polishing is not an option with chrome. Most of the problem is with the rear and you could just ignore it because no one can really see the wheel anyway. You could also powder coat the wheels but I'm not sure how that would hold up. BMW cars have a similar problem with the dust and on my wife's car the painted wheels are showing wear. It seems to eat the paint off. Wiping the rear wheel off involves laying on the garage floor as there is no way an old fart (me) can bend to reach it.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Do a search on cleaning the wheels and follow what other do to keep them shiney. After shining them up good, put a good coat of wax on them and the brake dust won't stick as bad. I ended up powder coating mine and this makes them a snap to clean.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Clean the wheels with water and clean rag after each ride or dishwashing soap. I use Busch Aluminum polish now but mothers is good too. If you keep them clean, just a regular polish will keep them as new..

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Busch is a good product to clean them with and they have a wax and sealant that works pretty well. www.shinhopples.com sells them both. Many product results have been posted in the past, and I've bought many of the products posted, but for ease of use and results, the Busch products have worked best, followed by Boms. YRMV

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have always been amazed at the large amount of dust especially on the rear, and the pads still look as they are new.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I feel better now knowing that I am not the only one. I kinda feel bad about my age now because I, like Ponton above, also have to lay down to clean the back wheel. I was thinkin' I was still young till I read that. ;)

·
Registered
19,321 Posts
With Traxxion brakes pads they stop better than oem and have very little brake dust.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Brake Dust

I was told about windex to clean wheels, didn't believe it til I tried it. Excellent job, spray liberally and let it soak for 15-20 seconds then wipe it off and hose it down. I usually do this twice at least for each wheel. Shiny wheels return, I've been doing this for over a year and my wheels look like new.
Len.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was told about windex to clean wheels, didn't believe it til I tried it. Excellent job, spray liberally and let it soak for 15-20 seconds then wipe it off and hose it down. I usually do this twice at least for each wheel. Shiny wheels return, I've been doing this for over a year and my wheels look like new.
Len.
Thanks, I am going to try it. Windex is one of those products like asprin that can fix a lot of things.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I got tired of the dust and its destruction of the wheels, not to mention the looks. I had them powder coated and they look very close to stock.

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
I have always been amazed at the large amount of dust especially on the rear, and the pads still look as they are new.
I am with you. Our brakes would be toast if that was all from them.
There was a board member that actually sent it out and had it analyzed, and it came back being ordinary road dust/dirt. For some reason it accumulates on the rims and likes to stay there.

·
Soon to be Former Member
7,732 Posts
clean the wheels now. Then, get a couple good coats of wax on them. Wipe them down after every ride or 2 and you should be fine. Don't take care of them and they will pit like crazy.

Better ideas is to just get them powder coated.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Windex - ammonia - bad for aluminum. I wouldn't do it without a clean water rinse after. Or "Greased Lightning" either. Just clean with the soap you clean the bike with for now (Scrubbing Bubbles for bad buildup followed by a good rinse), wax well, and get them powder coated or chromed at first tire change.

·
Florida Moderator
4,617 Posts
Several months ago while cruising through the automotive section of Big Lots, I noticed they had bottles of "Castrol" wheel cleaner. I figured I'd give it a try. Prior to that I had used a variety of products and methods that all required a degree of elbow grease. The Castrol wheel cleaner instantly started dissolving the grime and after a few swipes with the wheel brush, the wheels were sparkling. In less than 5 minutes my wheels looked like new. I had broken one of the Big Lot rules, if you even think you'll like something, buy a bunch of it because it will sure be gone when you come back. The product came in a purple bottle and I haven't found it anywhere else so far.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I have about 600 miles on a new '08 and I notice a pretty thick layer of brake dust on each wheel after a 100 mile ride. I don't remember there being that much dust from either of my other bikes when they were new. Will this decrease as the pads "seat"? Also the rotors never seem to be hot. Sometimes the rear is a little warm buy no more than any other bike I have had. On a related question how is the best way to cleane the wheels? I am already getting the dreaded spots that are almost impossible to deal with. :shock:
Stop riding the brakes! Just kidding. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
The wheels on the bike go round and round, round and round, round and round. oops dont have time to clean them i too busy riding

1 - 20 of 23 Posts