GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was topping off my brake fluid yesterday and did not know that a few drops got on my navigation buttons and panel, and the black piece right under the panel on my 2012 Gold Wing:eek: That black plastic sure don't like brake fluid!!! I thought I was being careful, even had a rag under to catch any that might fall, but I guess I missed some. Anyway, I have been online trying to find the black replacement panel but can't find anything of a parts finche anywhere!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
I feel your pain!

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Why is the brake fluid low on a 2012?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since the bike is new, I have heard stories about different fluids being low, so that's why I check the brake fluid just to see. It was just a little low and I topped it off. That's when a few drops dripped on my navigation panel.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Since the bike is new, I have heard stories about different fluids being low, so that's why I check the brake fluid just to see. It was just a little low and I topped it off. That's when a few drops dripped on my navigation panel.
If the brake fluid was low on a brand new motorcycle, I'd have went right back to the dealer with the pre-delivery checklist in hand.

·
Registered
246 Posts
If the brake fluid was low on a brand new motorcycle, I'd have went right back to the dealer with the pre-delivery checklist in hand.
:agree::wrong:

·
Registered
378 Posts
Brake fluid

Come on guys. I'm sure he feels bad enough. He's looking for a part, not comments on what he should have done.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
sjones you should be able to order parts from Direct Line Parts which sponsors this board,DLP has micro fiche just not sure about the 12' though?
http://www.directlineparts.com/
That Brake fluids hard on the Wings plastic.Before I change brake fluid on the Wing I completely cover the bike in plastic looks like it's ready for shipping :)

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I did the same thing on my 07. Mothers "Back to Black" covered the bleached spots. I have to reapply every few months.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Fred Harmons idea of trash bag over it then poke it through then spread it out...then some rags to pick up excess. worked for me! :thumbup:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sjones you should be able to order parts from Direct Line Parts which sponsors this board,DLP has micro fiche just not sure about the 12' though?
http://www.directlineparts.com/
That Brake fluids hard on the Wings plastic.Before I change brake fluid on the Wing I completely cover the bike in plastic looks like it's ready for shipping :)
Thanks Illusionblue!!! I checked on their web site and it only goes to 2010. But thanks for your thought and help!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How about prepsol cleaning, light sand with a scothbrite then just re-paint. Wouldn't that be much cheaper or did it eat through the plastic itself?
I might consider the repaint idea if I knew what color and type of black pain Honda used.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Because the 2012's are still so new on the market, seems no one has the Honda parts fiche! Just goes to 2010.

·
Registered
124 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Thanks for your understanding Jackrabbit!!! Not much of that on here anymore!!!
I have only bought 2 brand new bikes in my life - both Hondas. Both were low on oil, final drive oil, and coolant. The 1st one I did complain and they gave me 4 quarts of oil for my trouble. The 2nd, I just let it go as I would have had to went back about 750 miles to let them make it right anyway.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I might consider the repaint idea if I knew what color and type of black pain Honda used.
It's sad these guys just can't help instead of quarterbacking what is already done.:wrong:

DLP hasn't updated their system to include the 2012's yet. :wrong:

Go here for a 2012 parts fisch. http://www.hondapartshouse.com/

But I can already tell you .The face panel isn't sold seperately.It only comes as the whole Nav Panel.

Number 12 here. http://www.hondapartshouse.com/#/Honda/GL1800_7A_(12)_MOTORCYCLE%2c_JPN%2c_VIN%23_JH2SC68L-CK000001/SHELTER/GL1800-12-JPN-7A/2Y14MCACMCA8F2100A

If yours doesn't have any lettering on the face panel itself?.
Then you can use a good grade of Flat or Satin black to repaint it.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I have not seen a 2012 panel up close and out of the bike yet. But on our other bike the panels are solid color completely through, molded of the black plastic.

I would think you could take it all apart and buff it on a buffing wheel with rubbing compounds and re finish the part. As long as you do not melt it, slow speed and easy .

Maybe try the shoe edge dressing mentioned above, I have used that myself for several things.

I have even used black magic marker to touch up a scratch now and then.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts