GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local honda dealer bled off the old brake fluid and replaced with new fluid. Brakes seem much stronger now. I was surprised at how much difference it made. Also my brakes no longer squeak. All this for 42.00 plus fluid.
JD

·
Chard Member
13,050 Posts
Mine was 2 years old when I flushed the systems. It did make a world of difference in the feel of the brakes.

Your Guys work too cheap up there! LOL...

·
Registered
340 Posts
Changing Brake Fluid

My plan is to change the brake fluid annually. Actually picked up my ’03 in August and plan on changing the fluid in the next couple of months.

It looks to be a real straightforward job - with the use of a Mity-Vac should only take an hour or two.

I figure, better safe than sorry. Many say they can tell a big difference after changing the fluid – I want my brakes to operate like new all the time – if possible.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Brake Fluid

I don't have ah Mighty Vac, i jest bled th brakes replacin th fluid in th reserviors before they hit bottom. My wife helped, it took about ah half ire. I went by th service manual's recommended procedure. Worked great. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
192 Posts
I went with the speed bleeders. They were very easy to install and I bleed my entire system including the clutch and ABS in 15 minutes.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Speed bleeders might be the way to go on this bike. There are several bleeders that the mity vac does not seem to work on. I just bled them the old pump and hold way and was done with it. Fairly easy job and I do my bikes every year.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Livy: When you installed the speed bleeders, was there anything special on the installation? Some have posted that the bleeders came loose and they lost the brake fluid. When you tighten the bleeder on the caliper, how much torque did you use and how long did you wait for the "glue" on the threads to set? Any information would be very helpful.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I just tightened them down till they quit seeping and then went 1/8 turn more. The instructions said to be carefull about how much you torque them. It was not hard at all. It took longer to take the wheel cover off them to bleed the intire system. All in all I would say it was very easy to do. Don't know how they wil hold up, I put a couple of old ones in the trunk just in case.--Larry

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'm with you Ed, I plan to replace the brake and clutch fluid in prep for this season, (12K), refill, pump, catch in a can, etc.
But why does Honda recommend changing the fluid every 12k miles in the first place? I don't recall ever changing the brake fluid in my car.
Thanks,

·
Registered
759 Posts
where do u get the speed bleeders and how much are they?...tia...just saw Hal carries them...thx. :lol:

·
Registered
317 Posts
The problem with speed bleeders is that they are not made from hardened steel thus the caution with tightening. They will snap off easier if impacted or overtightened. OE bleeders are made from hardened stock.
Either way use a little Silicon brake grease on the threads will keep them from rusting in place and seal the threads when doing a MityVac type bleed.
I use Raybestos Silicon Brake Grease, it is also a dielectric grease. Made for the trade so it is a fair sized tube and a few $$.
Napa has smaller tubes called Sylglide(sp?).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts