GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What Fred says in a earlier post is very true.

I am in the process of restoring a CB500T and needed to go through the entire brake system. The entire system was so corroded that the Master Cylinder, Brake Caliper were no longer servicable. The Caliper was so corroded that even after sitting a week in WD40 I could not pull the pads. The lines were even plugged up. The entire sytem needed to be replaced.

Imagine what your clutch on the 1800 as well as the brakes could look like over an extended period of time.

It is inexpensive to change and easy to do, so there is no reason not to,.

·
Registered
8,865 Posts
Rackets said:
What Fred says in a earlier post is very true.

I am in the process of restoring a CB500T and needed to go through the entire brake system. The entire system was so corroded that the Master Cylinder, Brake Caliper were no longer servicable. The Caliper was so corroded that even after sitting a week in WD40 I could not pull the pads. The lines were even plugged up. The entire sytem needed to be replaced.

Imagine what your clutch on the 1800 as well as the brakes could look like over an extended period of time.

It is inexpensive to change and easy to do, so there is no reason not to,.

Like 31 years? :wink: :wink:

later..Randy

·
Registered
461 Posts
This should be a yearly maintenance chore that everyone does, preferrably in the off season as not to interfere with riding.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
My rule of thumb is to R&R the brake and clutch fluid when I change my brake pads. Clutch and brake fluid just doesn't go bad that quickly to change them every 12,000 miles. I just changed mine at 36,000, along with the brake pads, and the brake fluid was hardly discolored. The clutch fluid was the color of light coffee, but very clear. They both had lots of life left.

The brakes and clutch were solid before the change and they're the same after it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts