GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The scheduals go by miles, but the main thing that breaks down our brake fluid is moisture and the main variables that play into that are local humidity, water exposure, and time. Time may be number 1. My bike is still fairly low miles as I purchsed it last July and some sh.. happended soon there after that limited my riding and now its Winter. This bike is also an '02 holdover that was made just before the welding recall VINs. So its been sitting around. Do I flush out the old and install new or go by the schedule. Brake fluid is no fun to work around IMHO.

prs

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
PR, look at the color of the fluid. If is has an amber tint, it
has absorbed some contaminants, and change it. If it is
still clear and no funny smell, its still OK.

Just like fish - If it smells fishy, it is not fresh.

·
Registered
469 Posts
prs

When i put new brake pads on i drain th reservoirs with ah syringe , then push th pads all th way against th calipers, & remove th rest of th brake fluid. Then i wipe th reservoirs clean & add new fluid. Th git th rest of th old fluid out i bleed th brakes manually after th new pads are in place, till clear clean fluid is comin outta th bleeded valves, then top th reservoirs. Sameo sameo fer th clutch. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
325 Posts
My Brake fluids is good

IR Harry said:
Just like fish - If it smells fishy, it is not fresh.
Yo, IR, my brake fluid doesnt have a fish smell, Im still good right? hehe

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I change mine every year. Works out to about 20,000. Everything on my bike gets checked or changed every year. I do not want to waste any of my riding season because of something I ignored during the lay up season.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Ed...I look at all the pretty girls whether it is ride season or not!!!.... :a13:

·
Registered
226 Posts
the book says
replace every two years, or at the indicated odometer
interval, witchever comes first. replacement requires
mechanical skill,
the indicated odometer interval is 12000 miles

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
I change all my fluids religiously at the 2 year mark. And anytime that I feel it is necessary in between if the condition indicates.

I know that changing the brake fluid is important, but sometimes I think that we Wingers take all this stuff a little too seriously.

I have driven vehicles to 200K miles and never changed brake fluid, coolant, or tranny fluid. I know that this is not good, but I see those vehicles still on the road and with no maintenance problems.

On the other hand I see wingers that will drive their bikes around the corner to put 3 more miles on it, so that they will be at 8K miles and can change the oil.

I believe in proper maintenance intervals. But I also believe in common sense.

Bulldog

·
Registered
17,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its clear 'n clean and smells like, well.... brake fluid. No scorched or acrid odor like some old brake fluids I've seen. Will go conservative route. Thanks!

prs

·
Registered
51 Posts
Fluid change

Changing both brake & coolant every other year has worked great for me haven't worried to much about milage, if it has been 20m or 40m. This schedule has been used on 20 different Hondas Kawasakis & Yamahas with no problems. I like using the small hand vacuum pump to evacuate the fluid down at the bleeder vavle, making sure that the resevoir does not go empty causing air to get into the system. An extra set of hands can be helpful here It works for me. :)

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
bugs13 said:
the book says
replace every two years, or at the indicated odometer
interval, witchever comes first. replacement requires
mechanical skill,
the indicated odometer interval is 12000 miles
This seems reasonable to me, to put an "either/or" interval on it. If Honda just recommended every 12,000 miles, then it might only get changed once every 10 years with some people.

However, I only change mine every other winter, which comes out to being once every 25,000 miles. It spends its time (when not being ridden) inside a climate controlled garage with low humidity, and only sees a 30 degree temperature range.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts