GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to replace brake / clutch fluid. I've got the service manual but I can't find how much DOT4 I'll need. Anyone know off hand?

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
You dont want to store Opened Brake Fluid because it will absorb moisture.

I would buy (2) Pints, you might be able to get by with (1) considering how you go about bleeding the system.

If you don't need them both, you can keep one unopened, for later, or return it.

They are also easier to pour out of than a quart bottle.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
for the price of a pint I would buy a quart for a piece of mind. its better to have some extra just in case. Besides you want to flush it also and just not bleed it.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
You know that (2) Pints is a Quart don't you ??
The reason I suggested (2) separate pints was...........Oh well read my post again.:joke:

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
For a good flush I use a quart, usually a little cheaper than buying 2 pints.
Either way you need a quart.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Just finished doing a brake flush. Pumped each channel (7 channels) of the brakes between 15 and 20 times. Used less than a pint. Bought two anyway so I've got an unopened bottle on the shelf. I wouldn't think there was enough in the first bottle to complete flushing the clutch.
J

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
You know that (2) Pints is a Quart don't you ??
The reason I suggested (2) separate pints was...........Oh well read my post again.:joke:
Harry lately the auto places around me have had the quarts on sale for just a little more than the single pints. Thats why I said the quart instead. Lately alot of the stores like Advance,autozone and O'Reillys have in store sales that arent reflected in their flyers. It seems like in the spring and summer Im always in the store for something or other for the car,truck and bike so I pay more attention to their sales lately.

·
Chard Member
13,050 Posts
I always buy a quart for brakes & clutch. I will go through almost all of it using a mighty vac! A pint wouldn't even be a good start.....

·
Registered
674 Posts
I pump untill it goes clear in the clear tube I put on the beaders.

To do both brakes and the clutch I would ues 32 Ounces (0.946352946 Liters for those who think in metric) at a mimimum but I earned the nickname "Mr. Overkill" quite a few years ago...

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Greetings!

According to the manual, a complete flush and refill for the brakes requires at least 500ml. A 12oz bottle is 354ml, so you would need to have two on hand.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Greetings!

According to the manual, a complete flush and refill for the brakes requires at least 500ml. A 12oz bottle is 354ml, so you would need to have two on hand.
500 ml = 16.9070114 US fluid ounces

Too bad my local auto parts store does not sell a 17 Oz bottle of brake fluid....;)

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
mine was so dirty that i got into a 3rd pint before I was satisfied. doing my friends bikes I only used 2 pints. bb

1 - 13 of 13 Posts