GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer wants $95 labor to replace front and back brakes. Brake pads are $36 each x 3.

I've never attemped changing the brake pads because of it's importance to keeping me in one piece.

Is it worth the cost or is it DIY job with Fred's videos that I just need to buck up and do it???

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Where are you located?

·
Registered
948 Posts
It's not hard with Fred's help.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I don't think the labor charge is excessive for a front and rear brake job.

If you are going to do your own work buy the DVDs and you will just about break even on the brake job. From then on out, you will be saving real money every time you do your own repairs and maintenance.

Hector

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nedro,

Located in Central Texas, near Killeen.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Brake pad change

Rather easy job IF you are at all mechanically inclined. $36/disc for the pads is rather spendy, in my opinion. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
You should really consider doing it yourself. Buy the pads from Hal and pop 'em in. Take a few minutes and read the service manual entries for doing the job and you'll do just fine. It's really a piece of cake.

If you get stuck there are a lot of people here that will help you out and you'll have learned something about your bike.

I say, Go for it!

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Brake Pads

$36/disc for the pads is rather spendy, in my opinion
I just purchased a full set of OEM brake pads from Hal, total price delivered was 155.00.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looking at my pads on the front, they appear to to have 1/8 inch to 3/16 inch of pad left.

Need to be changed????

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Can you still see the grooves in the pad? That is the wear indication. I am in Belton. PM me and we'll talk about it.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Looking at my pads on the front, they appear to to have 1/8 inch to 3/16 inch of pad left.

Need to be changed????
Grooves are the "service limit" on brake pads, and my lefts were a bit thin 0.003" when I replaced them. I don't suggest you wait that long, but pay attention to the left front because it usually goes first. 1/8" is quite a bit on the front left, but if it's 1/8 on some other pads, check the left front.

Disc brakes are easy and I do all my own including cars & trucks. The only tricky ones are the rears on some cars that have to "twist" to reset the e-brake. Just clean your pistons before you push them in with Brakleen & a scotchbrite pad.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
If it helps, brake pad fitting on the GL1800 is easier than on any previous Goldwing. I've fitted pads on all the models and was pleasantly surprised at how easy they are on the 1800. :coffee1:

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
My dealer wants $95 labor to replace front and back brakes. Brake pads are $36 each x 3.

I've never attemped changing the brake pads because of it's importance to keeping me in one piece.

Is it worth the cost or is it DIY job with Fred's videos that I just need to buck up and do it???
With Fred as your guide, it's a breeze! Do it yourself. The $95 you would spend in labor, that will pay for the DVD's!

Break out the tools!

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
With Fred as your guide, it's a breeze! Do it yourself. The $95 you would spend in labor, that will pay for the DVD's!

Break out the tools!
+1, if you can change disk brakes on a car? You can do the Wing, very similar. Clean the the cylinder pucks prior to pressing back in. I did mine without wheel removal, simple procedure.

·
Registered
17,122 Posts
Replacing the pads is an EZ job; but if this is your first time pad replacement, then do get supervision from an experienced friend. Fred's video series is valuable, but I really do not recall his episode on brake pad replacement. The service manual is a good resource too. Its a good time to also replace brake fluid if this due or near due; again a good job to DYI, but first time with supervision.

prs

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Buy Fred's vids.
Do it yourself (buy from Hal).
Take wifey out to dinner with money saved.
Agreed. However, the other option is to take out the Mistress twice. :tongue:

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
$36 per pair of pads is an excellent price if they are OEM pads, but I'll bet they're not. In my research on the subject, most everyone had trouble with noisy brakes when they used aftermarket pads, so I bought the Honda pads from Hal when they were on sale (approx. $39/pr). Make sure you know what they are trying to sell you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts