GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried to install a Back off brake light modulator to a trailer. I have one for the spoileron the bike , but I would like to have the trailer lights flash also?

anyone have a wiring scheme for something like this

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lucky Phil said:
My trailer lights mod with the bike.
how did you wire it???

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Yes, how did you wire it.
Curious minds want to know.

What I really want to do if figure out how to modulat just the rear upper center light on the Aluma. Then it would flash and look similar to the spoiler light on the bike that I have flashing with the Backoff module.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wanderer said:
CJS,

To modulate a single light, I imagine you could get one for a sport bike/any bike with a single taillight. Then just splice it into the wires that flow current to the light you want to modulate. I think a BackOFF would work. See them here:

http://www.customdynamics.com/signal_dynamics_back_off_brake_light_modulator.htm

Would a second *back-off* screw up the signal from the spoiler *back-off* or can we wire the spoiler back-off to work the brake light to the trailer

·
Registered
409 Posts
J-Mac
I have the Kisan 200gw and it mods all the lights so when I hooked up the trailer Iso it just passed on the Mod function. But after further conversations with Lewis The ISO was not designed with modulator use in mind. So I took the brake feed and sent it to the iso before the modulator. I would suppose if you wanted to have a seperate Mod for the trailer Just cut the brake light wire leading down to the trailer plug and put it line there with all the other wire connections for the trailer. doing it that way you would not screw up the first signal.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Black02wing said:
J-Mac
I have the Kisan 200gw and it mods all the lights so when I hooked up the trailer Iso it just passed on the Mod function. But after further conversations with Lewis The ISO was not designed with modulator use in mind. So I took the brake feed and sent it to the iso before the modulator. I would suppose if you wanted to have a seperate Mod for the trailer Just cut the brake light wire leading down to the trailer plug and put it line there with all the other wire connections for the trailer. doing it that way you would not screw up the first signal.
Thanx *sparky* for 30 bucks or so, putting a second back-off in sounds like........wait !!! the Aluma has LED lights, is that going to be a problem????

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Black02wing said:
From Back Off
Sealed Weather Resistant heat sink case.
Limited Warranty - One Year!
(note: will not work with LED Taillights)
bummer :cry:

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Black02wing said:
Kisan or Kriss make one that will do LEDs but $80 or better
I found Radiantz makes a brake modulator for LED's for about 40 bucks

I think I'll have a capt-n-coke and contemplate this dilema :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
J-mac said:
[quote="Lucky Phil":2n6mcop3]My trailer lights mod with the bike.
how did you wire it???[/quote:2n6mcop3]

Wish I could remember; that's been over a year ago. Used the isolation relays that I ordered with the hitch. The brake light mod is a generic one I got off ebay, and wired under the seat. When the bikes lights mod, so does the trailer.

What did I have for breakfast this morning? Hmmmm...

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lucky Phil said:
[quote="J-mac":1xgj3z87][quote="Lucky Phil":1xgj3z87]My trailer lights mod with the bike.
how did you wire it???[/quote:1xgj3z87]

Wish I could remember; that's been over a year ago. Used the isolation relays that I ordered with the hitch. The brake light mod is a generic one I got off ebay, and wired under the seat. When the bikes lights mod, so does the trailer.

What did I have for breakfast this morning? Hmmmm...[/quote:1xgj3z87]

:lol: :lol: :lol: CRS ( can't remember $hit ) syndrome :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I highly recommend you don't flash the trailer lights through a relay harness directly such as the EC version mentioned above. I did this (Kissan flasher) and after less than maybe 6 months the relay contact for the brake like fused and the trailer brake lights stayed on constantly. I consulted Lewis at EC after the fact and found out this is not recommended. You could drive another relay and pass brake power from a fused battery connection to the trailer. That way they would flash together but there would not be a big load on the relay to cause the relay contacts to fuse, ie weld together.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Black02wing said:
From Back Off

Yeah, but....

Don't we have LED's in our spoiler. I read the same thing, but when I called Backoff and asked about using it on the bike's spoiler with LED's they go ahead and hook it up, it'll work just fine. So I did and it did. Hmmmm...

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
CJS said:
Black02wing said:
From Back Off

Yeah, but....

Don't we have LED's in our spoiler. I read the same thing, but when I called Backoff and asked about using it on the bike's spoiler with LED's they go ahead and hook it up, it'll work just fine. So I did and it did. Hmmmm...
Good point, I didn't think of that :oops: I think I'll try a second back-off on the trailer side. I wonder if it will fit in the main tongue section under the trailer ( opposite end of the safety-swivle )

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Concerning what will/won't flash when brake light modulators are installed:

It depends on where they are spliced in, and what type they are. If they're spliced in to the wire that feeds all brake lights, then all brake lights will modulate - probably even through to the trailer. If they're spliced in to a particular brake light's wire, then only that brake light will modulate.

Don't know how many can be installed in one system (bike - bike/trailer?) though.

Plus, WIG-WAGs and others work on dual taillight systems (left/right lights). That's an added complication, for sure. Another complication is a 5-4 wire converter/system and what that will do to the modulators signal.

With my 5-4 system, with just 2 of the 6 brake lights modulating, the WW doesn't flash the trailer's lights.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
J-mac,

I think I'll try a second back-off on the trailer side.
That's what I'd do. They won't have the same flash rhythm, though, which might bring unwanted LOE attention? They're pretty well potted so mounting it outside shouldn't be a problem. If your brake light wires run through the body, I'd consider mounting it inside. Let us know how it all works out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts