GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday my riding buddy told me my brake lights weren't working and indeed they weren't. He wasn't sure but believes they were working earlier in the day. The temperature was around 70.

This morning, after the bike sat all night, I checked and the lights were working.

Then only thing I can figure is the Stop Light Relay got hot or vibated loose or has some corrosion.

There are two fuses and two relays in the circuit.

The stop lights get power thru fuse 18 and the switched side of the Stop Light Relay, (ETM 9-0)

The Stop Light Relay's switching power comes from fuse 27 through the switched side of the Horn/Turn relay and the front or rear brake light switches. (ETM 9-0)

Since the Horn/Turn relay also supplies power to the Horn Button and Turn Signals, both of which were working (ETM 5-0 & 9-3); and fuse 18 was good; and the front and brake levers disengaged the cruise I figure the problem has to be in the Stop Light Relay.

I'm assuming the front and rear brake swtiches are not part of the problem since either should have activated the lights. Also each switch disengaged the cruise control. I don't know if there are separate switches for the cruise cancel and the brake lights.

I've not pulled the seat off to check the relay.

Any other theories as to why it would not work yesterday and start working today?

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Tomball,
I think you're on the right track with the relay unless you've added a modulator or something else and have a loose connection. If you can get it to happen again and have voltage tester, remove the seat and check for voltage going into and coming out of the relay at the wirig terminals. You can also ohm out a relay to check for normally open and normally closed circuits. I hope this helps. T.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pulled the Stop Light Relay. The contacts looked fine. I swapped it with Suspension Level Control Relay. We'll see if the problem moves - assuming it recurs.

The relay had the following marking
Omron G8H-UA-007609
0174A21A

Anyone know where to buy this relay besides from a GW dealer?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
techdude2000 said:
There are separate switches for the cruise and brake lights, they don't share the same switch.
Yeah, I kinda figured that. But both front and rear brake switches would have to be bad to not get brake lights. And the started working again.

·
Registered
20,955 Posts
hey Tomball long time no see, welcome back, hope u have been doing plenty of riding

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brake Lights Good to Go.

Thanks, CycleDude. I had a bit of a set back - broke my leg over Memorial Day weekend in Hugo, OK on my way back from a solo trip to NW AR. All is good now. Weather is perfect here - lows in 40s with clear skys and highs in the mid-60s to low-70s.

As for my brake lights ... I finally found the right connector (C22, under the seat just in front ot the trunk. I pulled it apart, hosed it down good with contact cleaner, smeared some dielectric grease on it and put it back together. Good to go.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Tomball said:
I pulled the Stop Light Relay. The contacts looked fine. I swapped it with Suspension Level Control Relay. We'll see if the problem moves - assuming it recurs.

The relay had the following marking
Omron G8H-UA-007609
0174A21A

Anyone know where to buy this relay besides from a GW dealer?
Check your local auto parts store.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts