GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installing a spoiler and spoiler light on my brand ne 2016. After having wiring issue due to being color blind, I could only get the brake light to work from the lever not the pedal. Thanx to Phil, great guy at electrical connection, he thought it could be a defective brake light switch. Kinda hard to believe that it would be that. Removed the right side cover, and removed the switch from the mount, no wiring. Brake light switch works perfect however, it was out of adjustment. Tweaked a bit and know brake light works. Point being, if I didn't install that light. I would not have known I had not brake light. Im sure I would have been ok since lever worked just fine. Any ideas if there r bad switches out there or just bad alignment?
Thanx
Tom

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
It might have happened after brake recall. Several people reported cruise control and rear brake light problems after getting bike back from recall.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
It might have happened after brake recall. Several people reported cruise control and rear brake light problems after getting bike back from recall.
My wife and I both have GW's, a 2006 and a 2008... I've had to replace the switch on both bikes. Her's failed before recall work was done. Mine failed after the work was done. Always good to check that you have brake lights using both foot and hand brakes before you ride.:wink2:

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
I'm confused as to why the brake recall would affect the brake switch. What are they doing to be messing with that?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a recall on my '06. Had no issues at all with anything. that bike got traded in for this brand new '16. so as far as i know, there was no recall that i am aware of. as far as messing with anything, all i did was attempt to find out why i had no brake lights when i hit the brake pedal and HAD brake lights when i squeezed the brake lever. thats when i found the brake light switch at the brake pedal appeared to b out of adjustment...

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Perhaps when the dealer checked it they just missed the foot pedal not activating the brake lights.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I'm confused as to why the brake recall would affect the brake switch. What are they doing to be messing with that?
Steve, they replace the master cylinder and the switches mount on the rear MC on a bracket with slotted holes. If the “mechanic” doesn’t understand these switches or know how to adjust them, they will often not work. Both mine and my sons bike had to go back twice... I finally had to show the parts changer how to adjust the switches...

:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Steve, they replace the master cylinder and the switches mount on the rear MC on a bracket with slotted holes. If the “mechanic” doesn’t understand these switches or know how to adjust them, they will often not work. Both mine and my sons bike had to go back twice... I finally had to show the parts changer how to adjust the switches...

:thumbup:
Weird. I had the recall done, and I wasn't made aware the master cylinder(s) were replaced.

·
Registered
7,562 Posts
There were many that had incorrectly adjusted foot brake switches after the recall.

The problem with switch settings (after recall) came up in many many threads.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
On your new 2016, it appears the dealer did not do a vary good Dealer Prep job!
My new 2016 that I picked up just last year... when I drove it off the lot, had a tire pressure light showing! Come on guys! You did a nice job detailing it out, but to mis the tire air pressure??? Eee gads!

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
7,562 Posts
On your new 2016, it appears the dealer did not do a vary good Dealer Prep job!
My new 2016 that I picked up just last year... when I drove it off the lot, had a tire pressure light showing! Come on guys! You did a nice job detailing it out, but to mis the tire air pressure??? Eee gads!

Corventure Dave
When we took delivery of out 14's, the checklist they provided indicated an incorrect recommended pressure. I told them I thought it was wrong -- but person I spoke to said they had very good tech's that never made mistakes like that. I new better than to waste my time.

I checked them the next day.
Tire pressures were NOT to Honda recommendation.
They were also NOT to what the dealer prep sheet indicated.

And THE TWO BIKES WERE NOT SET TO THE SAME PRESSURES!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts