GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how to:

1) Remove the rear panel the license plate is mounted to

2) Locate the wire behind there to tap into so I can add an additional strobe brake light to the rear.

I am adding this .. http://www.strobesnmore.com/sound-off-signal-ghost-super-led-grill-hood-deck.html

I can probably figure this out by just tackling it but with the wealth of knowledge here why not make it easy ... thanks in advance.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Can anyone tell me how to:

1) Remove the rear panel the license plate is mounted to

2) Locate the wire behind there to tap into so I can add an additional strobe brake light to the rear.

I am adding this .. http://www.strobesnmore.com/sound-off-signal-ghost-super-led-grill-hood-deck.html

I can probably figure this out by just tackling it but with the wealth of knowledge here why not make it easy ... thanks in advance.
Just took mine off this weekend. Very easy........ locate the four allen head screws and remove. Two lower and two up in the crevis,kinda hard to see these. Pull up slightly from bottom and the push tabs pop out. Simple.........Also I ordered the same LED license/brake light, and the super flash from Electrical Connections. There coming out with a plug and play harness that plugs into existing brake connector in upper trunck/spoiler compartment by this weekend. 2012's brake harness has changes its no longer behind the rear fender/saddlebags like the 2010's are.

·
Registered
172 Posts
When I added Skene p-3 LED's to my license plate holder, I went in under the seat to find the brake wiring, tapped in there, and ran the wires back. When you remove the black mud flap, you'll only find the wiring to the license plate light. I couldn't find any brake light wiring to tap into. I also added a waterproof connector, just as the license plate light is done, because removing the rear wheel necessitates the complete removal of the mud flap.

http://www.lights.skenedesign.com/P3_Features.shtml

Brake wiring1.jpg

The pink wire ties hold the waterproof connector.

Brake lights1.jpg

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I'll go up into the trunk lid for Brake power because I know where it is there ... I'll never find it under the seat unless someone gives me good pictures LOL

Isn't the wide red light between the 2 clear lights a brake light ... it is right above the rear panel ... would have thought I could have tapped in there easily.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
No, the red light in between the white lights is not a brake light. The removal instructions for the rear panel are in your owners manual, under rear tire removal. For my application, I went up in the trunk and picked up a brake light for my trailer wiring.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Whether you go up in the trunk, or under the seat, you're still going to have to route your wiring down to the under-seat area to get it back to the license plate.

It's not that difficult to find under the seat. There is a large connector that comes apart. You can figure out which colored wires do it with a 12v tester after you pull the quick disconnect apart.

Heck, bring it over, I'll show ya.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Got 'em!

OK, I went out and looked and I actually took notes the last time I was under there.

Under the seat wiring harness:
Tail Light = Brown/ White
Brake Light = Green/ Red
Rt Turn = Blue/ Silver
Lt Turn = Orange/ Silver

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, I went out and looked and I actually took notes the last time I was under there.

Under the seat wiring harness:
Tail Light = Brown/ White
Brake Light = Green/ Red
Rt Turn = Blue/ Silver
Lt Turn = Orange/ Silver
EXCELLENT .... I appreciate it very much

·
Registered
172 Posts
Let us know how it goes.

I used Posi-tap connectors to tap in to the wires. I also found an excellent, and inexpensive source for professional waterproof connectors and wiring @ http://www.corsa-technic.com/index.php They ship quick, you can buy 1 or 2 parts, and they have great 22g wire in colors and polyester protective sheathing to run the wires through.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts