GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming from riding BMWs, I am very used to having to change out the rubber brake lines for stainless steel Teflon lined hose. Is this an issue with Goldwings? The BMW lines deteriorate on the inside and contaminate the brake fluid and end up killing the ABS system.

Thanks, Robert.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
It's been rare that I've heard of a Goldwing rider changing to the stainless hoses. Most of the instances I've heard of is either for cosmetic reasons, the cool factor, or just because they feel more comfortable with the armored hose. I ride a 2003 and change my fluids per the schedule, maybe even a bit more often than required, and don't have a problem. If they were rotting away, after 16 years I'd think there would be considerable leaks and there just aren't.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's been rare that I've heard of a Goldwing rider changing to the stainless hoses. Most of the instances I've heard of is either for cosmetic reasons, the cool factor, or just because they feel more comfortable with the armored hose. I ride a 2003 and change my fluids per the schedule, maybe even a bit more often than required, and don't have a problem. If they were rotting away, after 16 years I'd think there would be considerable leaks and there just aren't.
Thanks, the Goldwing world is all new to me even though I've been riding and wrenching for over fifty years.

Robert

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
No problem. There are mechanical items that require periodic maintenance like anything, but if you keep up on the fluid maintenance on the Goldwing, they just seem to keep on going and going. Other than not doing the proper periodic maintenance, probably the biggest problems on Goldwings are created by those of us that just can't add enough accessories and bling. The Wing with a NASA control room attached to the handle bars, enough additional lights to look like the Griswold's Christmas lights, and bad grounds will sooner or later aggravate its owner. Enjoy your Goldwing, ride safe, and relax as you won't find too many hidden surprises on these bikes. :grin2:

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Don't think I've read of a hose failure on this site since I've been here starting in 2007. I've certainly never had one on mine or my wife's Goldwing, nor any other bike we've ever had, mostly Hondas. All garage kept and the oldest Honda I have now is a 2004 CBR 1000 RR... all of it looks great except there is a lot of crud, some "corrosion" I suppose, on the radiator. No rust, just white stuff.. not sure how to remove that. My GW looks good for it's age, though not pristine "clean" like some do on this board...

Thanks, the Goldwing world is all new to me even though I've been riding and wrenching for over fifty years.

Robert
...... well, fifty years wasted......... :wink2:

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
At a work party several years back, watched a couple of guys wrenching the brake system. Once exposed the brake oil was white and rusty color. The first time I have ever seen that. The owner of the bike was frustrated as he bought this bike and was told all the fluids have been changed on a regular basis. No records to back that up. Several ounces or liters were poured through the system. Once it was clear it was topped off and good to go. This did not seem to be a problem as this was several years back like 06 and that bike is still tearing up the roadways. Of course the owner changes the fluids on a regular basis now.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I put stainless on my 1500 because 1 hose softened on me. Made a big difference in the feel of the brakes. Haven’t experienced any thing like that on the ‘05 yet. Just change the fluid regularly.

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
Coming from riding BMWs, I am very used to having to change out the rubber brake lines for stainless steel Teflon lined hose.
Seriously ... to me that is disgusting !!!

No ... on 5th gens, brake hoses are not an issue.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Stainless braid hoses do make a big difference in the firmness of the lever. At the track you won't find a bike without them.
I wouldn't make a special effort to put them on the Wing unless you are replacing the hoses for some other reason.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seriously ... to me that is disgusting !!!

No ... on 5th gens, brake hoses are not an issue.
I agree with you Greg...but that's the way it is with BMW. That and other concerns have led me to get rid of all my "modern" BMWs. I am keeping the "65 Frankenbike, the '81 R80GS, and my '76 R90S (to be brought back to streetable condition as soon as my Gl1800 and Hannigan sidecar are paid for.

Robert

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Stainless braid hoses do make a big difference in the firmness of the lever. At the track you won't find a bike without them.
I wouldn't make a special effort to put them on the Wing unless you are replacing the hoses for some other reason.
Agreed, they did do wonders for the BMWs I installed them on.

Robert

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
I agree with you Greg...but that's the way it is with BMW. That and other concerns have led me to get rid of all my "modern" BMWs. I am keeping the "65 Frankenbike, the '81 R80GS, and my '76 R90S (to be brought back to streetable condition as soon as my Gl1800 and Hannigan sidecar are paid for.

Robert
So ... like that is true with many modern day BMW m/c's ??? You have to do major altercation prior to making a continental tour ???

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So ... like that is true with many modern day BMW m/c's ??? You have to do major altercation prior to making a continental tour ???
I would say that if you are riding new stuff, probably not. With all the final drive failures and ABS problems not to mention my transmission failure at 26,000 miles on my K1200LT, yes, that's why I bought the wing. I'm sick of it.

Robert

P.S.: My airheads just keep on purring.

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
I would say that if you are riding new stuff, probably not. With all the final drive failures and ABS problems not to mention my transmission failure at 26,000 miles on my K1200LT, yes, that's why I bought the wing. I'm sick of it.

Robert

P.S.: My airheads just keep on purring.
Is the K1200LT the one that has no transmission parts available and the only repair is to replace the transmission assembly ???

For me, I would not be able to ride something that has so many issues from the get-go.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is the K1200LT the one that has no transmission parts available and the only repair is to replace the transmission assembly ???

For me, I would not be able to ride something that has so many issues from the get-go.
No, that is the K1300.

Reactions: GoldWingrGreg
1 - 15 of 15 Posts