GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my friends brand new wing, front brake locked up today, less than 300mi.
had to have it towed to the shop. we are tryig to figure out what the problem could be. as he was riding the brake began to engage and slow the bike down, the handle was so tight you could not pull it back, when he picked the bike up last week it had no front brake, the mech bleed it several times before it worked. any ideas?

·
Vendor
22,240 Posts
My first GUESS would be that the return port in the master cylinder is clogged, not allowing the brake fluid to flow back into the reservoir as the brake fluid heats up and expands. There is a very tiny orifice in the bottom of the reservoir that allows the fluid to return through and it may be clogged.

G

·
Hydraulic lock, over filled the reservoir, heat from pad caused the fluid to expand, no where to go, pushed pads out . I bet when things cool down it will seem OK . Easy fix , suck some fluid out of the reservoir .

That's my guess anyway, see what kind of story mechanic makes up to save embarrassment. :lol:

·
Vendor
22,240 Posts
Strider said:
Hydraulic lock, over filled the reservoir, heat from pad caused the fluid to expand, no where to go, pushed pads out . I bet when things cool down it will seem OK . Easy fix , suck some fluid out of the reservoir .

That's my guess anyway, see what kind of story mechanic makes up to save embarrassment. :lol:
That is also a good guess, and an easy thing to fix.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Did he take it back to the same shop that let the bike out the door with no brakes the week before?

If the did, well........... :shock:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes, and its a small time shop sells mostly four wheels and jet skis.
told him he should of had it towed to a big shop about 30 miles south but , he has bought several other things from them, and its close to his house.
so we will see.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Don't know the small shop your talking about, but too many time those small shops dont have anyone that is good on Wings. I dont own an ATV, but I doubt there is anything similar to a wing. He should have taken it to a shop with a wing mechanic. Let us know what happens; curious.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
One thing you said leads me to believe that it has nothing to do with the hydraulics. You said you could not pull the pedal back up, that would suggest to me a mechanical problem because even with a hydraulic lock the pedal should be able to be lifted by hand.
Possibly the through shaft is seized.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
bcutt
Thanks for the correction
Same story, with a hydraulic lock the front lever should still move freely. Maybe it is seized on it's pivot?
Had a friends 1500 do the same last summer but his lever was free to move, as soon as the bleeder was opened the wheel freed up.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Shop, says that it keeps doing same thing, they have tryed everthing they know, or are capible of, will have to wait untill tues to see if they can contact a honda rep. service manager says they have a wing mech on staff. :shock:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had almost the same thing happen on my 06 with only 240 miles on it although it was the rear brake that grabbed and would not let go. Honda finally replaced the caliper after trying several times to find exactly what was causing the problem.
When a "new" or another caliper was placed side by side with the one taken from my wing there was at least 1/4 inch too much machined from the outer side of the caliper and it "pinched" the brake pads too tight, when the pads/rotor got a little hot and expanded the brakes would grab and hold until they cooled off.
When it first happened I bled the brakes and everything seemed ok as I thought it was just "air" in the lines or "too much" fluid...

have a mech that know what he is doing to look very hard at the caliper...

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
WingAirSpeed
Thanks for correcting me a second time, if you read a few lines above bcutt beat you to it.
As I said, if the lever will not move then it is not a hydraulic problem. If they could not pull the lever back then I would guess that the pivot bolt is too tight.

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
If the hydraulic envelope is under great pressure it would in fact lock up the handle too. After all, the squeeze of the handle is attempting to push a non condensible when there is no where for it to go.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,588 Posts
It's going to be an issue with the front brake master cylinder, have seen this on a couple of GM cars. :?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts