GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Vendor
18,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brake noise and damage from WingDing Knoxville

A customer dropped his Wing off and complaining of a brake noise that started after having new tires installed at the rally in Knoxville. The front tire was not installed correctly causing the LF rotor to rub the LF caliper mounting bracket. Once I get permission, I will post pix.

Also, 2 of the 4 pinch bolts that squeese the wheel's mounting pin took 45ft/lbs of torque to break loose and the wheel axle was incorrectly installed.

Of coarse air tools were used.

Air and even a slow turning, battery operated screw drivers do not belong around GL1800s. These bike require a gental touch and lots of patients or damage will always eventually occur ... PERIOD !!!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Unbelievable!!! Kind of scarey.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
GoldWingrgreg,
The left leg appears to line-up correctly with the axle. What caused the clearance problem? Were Centramatic Balancers added?

·
Vendor
18,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GoldWingrgreg,
The left leg appears to line-up correctly with the axle. What caused the clearance problem? Were Centramatic Balancers added?
Yes, Centramatics where installed. If I move the lineup line in 2 line thicknesses, which leves it still visable, and with the caliper metal worn down, it no longer rubs.

...and who was the installer? Which company?
This was all done by a tire vender and who installed the Centramatics at the same time.

·
Registered
196 Posts

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I suspect the noise noticed is the reason it is in the shop. Not unusual for a rider to not know what to do, so they go to a shop .

Does not take too long to wear into the caliper like that. Not long at all.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I saw those guys installing their stuff on bikes while at Wing Ding. They seemed to be rockin' and rollin'. Looks like they were rollin' to fast. :eek:4:

Yes, I'd be pissed off too if that was my bike.

·
Registered
284 Posts
A customer dropped his Wing off and complaining of a brake noise that started after having new tires installed at the rally in Knoxville. The front tire was not installed correctly causing the LF rotor to rub the LF caliper mounting bracket. Once I get permission, I will post pix.

Also, 2 of the 4 pinch bolts that squeese the wheel's mounting pin took 45ft/lbs of torque to break loose and the wheel axle was incorrectly installed.

Of coarse air tools were used.

Air and even a slow turning, battery operated screw drivers do not belong around GL1800s. These bike require a gental touch and lots of patients or damage will always eventually occur ... PERIOD !!!

Appears to me that they istalled the wheel with the rotor behind the brake pad. But that is just the way it looks to me. I used to work for a company that attended these events and they kinda looked at me crazy when I gave them detailed instruction on how to remove the wheel as well as torque specs for all the fasteners. When it was all said and done they got a call a couple days after the event and they had apparently not torqued the caliper bolts and some guys caliper came loose while driving. Needless to say I no longer work for them.

·
Registered
268 Posts
do to the amount of wear on the caliper, it would have been making noise rollin off the rack. should have stopped right there and been looked at. chalk one up to leasons learned

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I don't understand how the "tech" mucked it up that bad. Did he put the axle spacers on the wrong sides?

This "tech" probably should not even be allowed to work in a junk yard.

·
Registered
17,123 Posts
The installer was under pressure to "git 'er done" and the job calls for attention to detail and finesse. It is not uncommon for the front end to be re-assembled with pigeon toed or splay footed forks. You gotta wonder just how many do get the Honda bounce and clearance inspections upon assembly.

prs

·
Registered
267 Posts
I would be getting a hold of that vendor if I were him.

·
Vendor
18,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I saw those guys installing their stuff on bikes while at Wing Ding. They seemed to be rockin' and rollin'. Looks like they were rollin' to fast. :eek:4:

Yes, I'd be pissed off too if that was my bike.
This was all done by a tire installer.

At the Centramatics booth, those guys were all doing things by hand and using torque wrenches like good techs know to do.

·
Vendor
18,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I suspect the noise noticed is the reason it is in the shop. Not unusual for a rider to not know what to do, so they go to a shop .

Does not take too long to wear into the caliper like that. Not long at all.
And it actually sounds like it could be normal disc brake noise.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Had an installer install all balls bearings, he forgot to tighten the caliper bolts. Northbound from Fl. two up with trailer the caliper came loose and luckily I had a bolt to replace it. His response at the next rally was he was sorry and he would sell me two tires no tax if I paid cash. I thought that was fair for almost killing my wife and I !!!!!.

·
Registered
21,133 Posts
http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_secti...ry=MOTORCYCLES&make=HONDA&year=2002&fveh=3498

i will guess he needs some new bearings, a couple of #38's and a couple of seals #3 along with 1 new collar pivot #4, hopefully that will fix everything

how many miles on that wing ? i'm not so sure they put it together wrong, believe it or not those little needle bearings do wear out and cause strange problems

try wiggling the left caliper by hand, then try wiggling the right caliper, if the bearings are wornout its pretty obvious

1 - 20 of 38 Posts