GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its about time to replace the pads and rotors on wing with ABS. Checked out Wingstuff, they have non directional rotors for 01-09. I have 10 with ABS. Any other ideas on best place to purchase, other than local dealer. (They have a high mark up).

Thanks

·
Registered
7,520 Posts
Most discussions conclude that the OEM pads are the best.

Are you sure you need rotors?

Did you price the board sponsor?

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Its about time to replace the pads and rotors on wing with ABS. Checked out Wingstuff, they have non directional rotors for 01-09. I have 10 with ABS. Any other ideas on best place to purchase, other than local dealer. (They have a high mark up).

Thanks
There have been a few that have gotten them off E-Bay. I think these are the ones.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Someone on the forum bought some rotors off Ebay and didn't check them right after receiving and found they wouldn't fit, and had a rough time (if ever) getting them replaced. Just make sure that you have them matched up soon after you receive them.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Are you sure the rotors are in need replacement?
I've never heard of the rotors on a Honda motorcycle wearing out.

·
IronMan
17,461 Posts
:agree::agree:HEARD OF GUYS BENDING THEM OR GETTING OVERHEATED N WARPED! BUT NOT WORE OUT !:shrug: YOU TALKING FRONTS/ REARS OR BOTH ?

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
There are better pads than stock. Do you run hard and fast? if so look into galfers or ebcs metal sintered pads, these come in different levels of grip. They stop in a shorter distance in all weather too.

Do you think racer boys run stock pads? lol
Probably not, but I'd bet they're replacing their rotors every three sets of pads. I had EBC's and the brake dust was everywhere, but not as bad as the SIXITY brand "ceramics". They were the worst. I swear, the next time I'm ordering brake pads, it's gonna be back to the OEM variety.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Yea, over the 400,000 or so miles I've ridden on numerous motorcycles I've never found an aftermarket pad that worked as well as the stock pads in the long run, some wore fast, some lasted a long time but braking suffered, some worked but were noisey, always stock was better for me. I've never needed to ever replace a rotor.
I just put new stock pads on mine a couple days ago as I heard a distinct scraping sound and my front left inner pad was metal to rotor and despite that error in not being more diligent in checking pads, the rotor is fine. In case anyone wonders or cares what the difference is in the front pads 6455 vs 6456 different part numbers for the fronts, it's simply the metal shim is installed on the opposite pad. I looked and looked at the pads to figure the need for two different numbers and maybe common knowledge, but now I know.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
There are better pads than stock. Do you run hard and fast? if so look into galfers or ebcs metal sintered pads, these come in different levels of grip. They stop in a shorter distance in all weather too.

Do you think racer boys run stock pads? lol
I run Honda HRC pads on my 2000 CBR929RR.
There are no better pads, period.
Do not get semi metallic pads.
If you want better than stock, get ceramic pads. (I don't care about dust, I only care about performance)

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Probably not, but I'd bet they're replacing their rotors every three sets of pads. I had EBC's and the brake dust was everywhere, but not as bad as the SIXITY brand "ceramics". They were the worst. I swear, the next time I'm ordering brake pads, it's gonna be back to the OEM variety.
I put EBC brake pads on both my Hondas and my Jeep. All three ended up squealing and made so much dust that my wife or me could not stand it (mag wheels) I paid twice, bit the bullet and installed OEM on all three. Lesson learned. I tried to save a few bucks and in the end it cost me double. No more EBC for me... ever.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Are you sure the rotors are in need replacement?
I've never heard of the rotors on a Honda motorcycle wearing out.
If I wanna spend $700.00 repairing my brakes it's my right... right? :joke:

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
I put EBC's on my 2001 and didn't have any noise issues but I did notice more brake dust.

When it's time to replace on my 2013, I'll go back with Honda OEM. You can get better performance and you can get cheaper, but I think the Honda OEM pads are the best value as a blend of price, performance, longevity and minimal brake dust.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Picked up a set of all three OEM Pads from wingstuff, $128 delivered (VIP price). Install the fronts last weekend. Likely do the rear soon. Very happy with the OEM pads and I live in the rain forest. First set lasted for 41,000 kilometers, and there still is 1 mm on the left front before the wear tab.

BTW I think Fred's DVDs pay for themselves again and again, 2 to 3 times a year :)

Rick

http://wingstuff.com/products/3702-factory-oem-brake-pads-for-gl1800-honda

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
I tried EBC pads once, but they were noisy and made a lot of brake dust. I really didn't feel much if any improvement in stopping, so I went back to OEM pads.
The only time I have ever had to replace a rotor is when one got bent.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Good luck with returns to Wingstuff

Just a caution. Returns to Wingstuff are anything but easy, and YOU will pay the postage. I bought a bag from them for $50 that was advertised as "fits ALL luggage racks." Wrong. Doesn't even come close to fitting. First you have to get authorization to return. Then you have to be certain the item is AS ORIGINALLY PACKAGED. How do you do that if you unwrap the thing so you can look at it in the first place? Then you have to enclose the box they sent the item in, in another box, being certain you don't make any marks on the original box. Then they will determine if you get a refund and if you don't, they ship it back to you are YOUR expense.

I will send my future business somewhere else.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
When I did my Traxxion install, I only had 4500 miles on the bike with OEM pads.

I was not that happy with the whole front brake on my 2008 Wing. I know it's the best past of 1200lbs that you have to stop, but my brakes felt very anemic and required a lot of lever pressure.

To try and improve this, I had the Traxxion installer put some Vesrah pads in as these were supposed to be better than the OEM. I've used Vesrah pads, with success, on some of my sports bikes.

I can't say that I noticed any perceivable difference over the OEM pads on the Wing, so I'll most likely be back to OEM pads when I need to change again.

Maybe I'm just spoiled by the Radial Master Cylinders, their bite and feel, on my sports bikes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just did the ebay rotors on my 07 non abs as recommended by another person on forum. The name of them is Arashi. I have 200-300 miles on them with oem pads. So far so good.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
When I did my Traxxion install, I only had 4500 miles on the bike with OEM pads.

I was not that happy with the whole front brake on my 2008 Wing. I know it's the best past of 1200lbs that you have to stop, but my brakes felt very anemic and required a lot of lever pressure.

To try and improve this, I had the Traxxion installer put some Vesrah pads in as these were supposed to be better than the OEM. I've used Vesrah pads, with success, on some of my sports bikes.

I can't say that I noticed any perceivable difference over the OEM pads on the Wing, so I'll most likely be back to OEM pads when I need to change again.

Maybe I'm just spoiled by the Radial Master Cylinders, their bite and feel, on my sports bikes.
Chris... I think the wings brakes are pretty good for the size of the bike but I do think you are spoiled by the brakes of your sport bikes. They have as much or more stopping power than the wing and the bike weighs 1/3 of the weight.

On my track bikes, I can lock up the front wheel with one finger and the bite is completely predictable all the way through so not only is it powerful, but it's fully controllable. This is some serious stopping power and just in a league of it's own that you can't compare to a wing.

Having said that....the BMW K16 has brakes that can stop the bike in less feet than the average sportbike so I suppose it is possible to have brakes that strong on a large touring bike. (although the BMW is a couple hundred pounds less in weight)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts