GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the right way to change brake pads? They do not seem to wear out evenly, so does one just change out the pads as they wear down or just do all three sets at the same time when the first one needs it. They all have different p/n but I thought I heard of swapping the front pads around to get the most wear from them.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I just bought new tires and when I had them put on I replaced one set of fronts and the rears. Mechanic said the others would outlast this set of tires. I'm cheap and tend to not do much of my own maintenance so saved a fair amount of labor doing it this way. BTW he's not a dealer just a good wrench in Lawrence.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Left front usually wears the fastest, because of the linked brakes. I usually swap out the right to the left after 15k or so. That way I can get more pad use out of a set.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Left front usually wears the fastest, because of the linked brakes. I usually swap out the right to the left after 15k or so. That way I can get more pad use out of a set.
The pad sets can be swapped between left and right calipers. However, one pad on each side has a backing plate that should be left in place and should not be swapped to the other side.

Depending too much on the foot brake is what causes the left front pads to wear faster.

·
Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts
The pads can be swapped between left and right. However, one pad on each side has a backing plate that should be left in place and should not be swapped to the other side.

Depending too much on the foot brake is what causes the left front pads to wear faster.
I burn up the LF inner in about 12k and swap pads around untill they're junk. Don't forget that the rears are thicker and can be moved to the front after they've worn a bit.

I think I've bought 2 full sets of pads in 96k miles.

·
Vendor
17,397 Posts
I replace each set with new OEM as needed.

Your "correct" answer is found in the your Operators Manual ... the one supplied by Honda with each new bike:

Install new brake pads into the caliper body with the
shim facing toward the wheel side so that their ends

rest into the pad retainer on the bracket properly.

Always replace the
brake pads in pairs
to ensure even disc

pressure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts