GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK... Trying to install new brake pads on my 2007 GL1800. I know that the caliper pistons need to be pushed back into the caliper body. I did that, but upon inserting the new pads, there is still not enough clearance to install the caliper over the brake rotor. The pads are correctly seated. Apparently the body of the caliper needs to expanded. How do I do this or am I missing something else. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Is it the back or the front brakes that are too tight? The back can be very tight. Loosen the cap on the master cylinder and use a long beefy flat screw driver with tape wrapped on the blade push against each piston (there are three for the back brake) till they are flush with the caliper. You can also wiggle the caliper to and from the rotor to get more room. The front pads should be easier as they are normally not as tight. Also make sure you are not trying to put rear pads on the front. (I am not sure if that is possible) Rear pads are thicker than front pads. If the prob is with the front brakes is it the left or right rotor or are all too tight. You can always remove the caliper and install the pads and then push the caliper back into the rotor. Also you may have to check your front axle to make sure it is adjusted right.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brake Pad installation

"Is it the back or the front brakes that are too tight? The back can be very tight. Loosen the cap on the master cylinder and use a long beefy flat screw driver with tape wrapped on the blade push against each piston (there are three for the back brake) till they are flush with the caliper. You can also wiggle the caliper to and from the rotor to get more room. The front pads should be easier as they are normally not as tight. Also make sure you are not trying to put rear pads on the front. Rear pads are thicker than front pads"

Thanks for the suggestions. I started with just the front and stopped when I ran into the problem. I will double check to be sure I am using front pads on the front calipers. I did have the pistons pushed fully into, and flush with the caliper body. Thanks !

1 - 3 of 3 Posts