GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well there has been a lot of talk about pad replacement. But who makes the best pads??

I'm going to install DP Brakes' Sintered Technology Brake Pads. Although I have no clue what "SINTERED" Brake pads are. The machanics at the place TBB works said these are the best pads on the market.

DP claims 2 -3 times the life of stock pads, they also claim they will not squeal, Groove or brake dust because of the graphite incorporated into the compounds.
Supposedly there is also a ceramic barrier on the back plate to reduce heat transfer to the fluid

any thoughts on "sintered" brake pads

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
sin·ter (sntr) Pronunciation Key Audio pronunciation of "sintered" [P]
n.

1. Geology. A chemical sediment or crust, as of porous silica, deposited by a mineral spring.
2. A mass formed by sintering.

v. sin·tered, sin·ter·ing, sin·ters
v. tr.

To cause (metallic powder, for example) to form a coherent mass by heating without melting.

v. intr.

To form a coherent mass by heating without melting.

[German, from Middle High German, dross, metal slag, from Old High German.]
sinter·a·bili·ty n.

·
Registered
43 Posts
J-mac said:
well there has been a lot of talk about pad replacement. But who makes the best pads??

I'm going to install DP Brakes' Sintered Technology Brake Pads. Although I have no clue what "SINTERED" Brake pads are. The machanics at the place TBB works said these are the best pads on the market.

DP claims 2 -3 times the life of stock pads, they also claim they will not squeal, Groove or brake dust because of the graphite incorporated into the compounds.
Supposedly there is also a ceramic barrier on the back plate to reduce heat transfer to the fluid

any thoughts on "sintered" brake pads

Read all the hype, better heat transfer, less dust, no squeal etc...etc...
Ran them on my VTX, can't say they were that much better than OEM pads. And the dust issue was about the same.
Life expectancy is a relative term as individual driving habits are varied.
JMHO

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ss1 said:
Life expectancy is a relative term as individual driving habits are varied.
JMHO
in that case they should last forever, I hate using my brakes :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Mike Moran said:
When two things rub together something gotta wear out, Rotor or pads,Pads are alot less to buy.
That is very true. I had a car once, 1983 Dodge Shelby Charger. When I sold it the brake pads still looked like new, however, the rear drums and front rotors were just about worn through after 84,000 miles.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Stick with the Honda pads. I put EBC's on my 1500 and they destroyed my rotors in 2000 miles, too much metal in the EBC's Some of the aftermarket pads have additional groves that can cause noise. I learned that problem when I did car brakes, sure pisses off the customer....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts