GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, greetings from NoCal

My 06 GL needs front and rear pads, Ive seen big difference in price, dealer is obvious higher. My question are there differences in quality?
Example D2Moto $34 for a whole set F-R, dealer $53 ea.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
The guy that does my maintenance is an independent and won't put anything but OEM on my trike. He doesn't really push OEM parts either.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
In my opinion you just can't beat the quality of the OEM Honda pads. There's a dealer on Ebay that sells the complete Honda set for $110 with free shipping.

I agree. Some of the aftermarket pads are harder and will heat the rotors or score them. OEM pads are cheap compared to replacing the rotors.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I will check out the OEM on eBay.

thanks you, I've found out very quickly this is a very nice group. :grin2:

This is apples and oranges, I also have a 07 Vstrom, putting on EBC HH sintered brakes made a big difference in stopping. The brakes on my GL stop very well.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
In my opinion you just can't beat the quality of the OEM Honda pads. There's a dealer on Ebay that sells the complete Honda set for $110 with free shipping.
Big_Bear,
Would you happen to have the ebay dealer name, I haven't found him.

Reactions: doug of no fl

·
Registered
994 Posts
Big_Bear,
Would you happen to have the ebay dealer name, I haven't found him.
I just checked ebay and currently don't see their listing. I did see a complete set from Monterey Honda for 79.99 plus 9.99 shipping. Search item# 254172816962

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just checked ebay and currently don't see their listing. I did see a complete set from Monterey Honda for 79.99 plus 9.99 shipping. Search item# 254172816962
Thanks,
I found him.

·
Vendor
17,832 Posts
My question are there differences in quality?
There can be differences in many ways. Some have thin backing plates, others have thin lining, some come with no silencing pads, all come with different lining ... best advise, get the OWM ones.

·
Registered
199 Posts
OEM are good pads, but I am running the EBC HH pads. There is no question I can stop quicker, and I figure the extre cost is still cheaper than a get-off.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have EBC rotors and HH pads on the front and like their extra braking performance and progressive bite. I installed the HH pads only on the rear and found them too powerful and the initial bite was too abrupt. Way too sensitive. I could see that was going to lead to some "unintended consequences", so I went back to OEMs and am very happy with this combo.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ended up buying a set of OEM.

The input has been fantastic.

My ABS light is on solid, I have a manual so be checking that out, but thats another thread.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
There can be differences in many ways. Some have thin backing plates, others have thin lining, some come with no silencing pads, all come with different lining ... best advise, get the OWM ones.
I have total faith in what Gregg says: I would listen to what Gregg has to say!!

Ronnie

·
Registered
85 Posts
On my other bikes I use EBC semi-metallic (also called semi-siniterd) with excellent results. Doesn't gall the rotors and adds an incredible amount of stoppage power. On my CTX, I found the OEM pads grab very nicely - a little too much! I will be staying with Honda brake pads. The GoldWing I haven't needed to replace the pads (yet) so I don't have a recommendation for that.

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
Ok I will check out the OEM on eBay.

thanks you, I've found out very quickly this is a very nice group. :grin2:

This is apples and oranges, I also have a 07 Vstrom, putting on EBC HH sintered brakes made a big difference in stopping. The brakes on my GL stop very well.
I'm running the EBC HH brakes on my wing, got them from Amazon - very impressed with them. I've got over 250k on wings, so a wee bit of experience. :)

·
Vendor
17,832 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
The real downside is the aftermarket pads that give you more bite is that they are eating your discs to bits. :eat2::eat2::nojoke:

Ok I guess if you have a supply of free discs I guess.

Me I will stick to OEM pads.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts