GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All
I have tried to search the forums for answers but I wasn't successful.

Simple question: What replacement brake pads are people using ?

Seems to be a lot of mention about "OEM" pads which I assume are Honda. But I also assume there might be alternatives that improve stopping power.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Randy
'07 Goldwing ABS Nav

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
I've had the best luck with OEM.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
The OEM pads grip well enough to activate the ABS. That is as good as stopping power gets.

·
Registered
581 Posts
After my first set of OEM pads needed replacing I went with EBC front & rear. I found them to be very good and were definitely more sensative (grabby) than the OEM's. The first few times I hit the brakes I stopped much faster than I intended. I am now back to the OEM's mainly because I found a real good price on eBay for a full set. Stay with well know, high quality pads. Stay away from 1/2 price pads, you'll get what you pay for.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Brake OEM

I Randy !!!

Put Honda OEM brake the best.

Clymax in OHIO and WingStoff ave good price.

FlyBoy2121:agree:

Hello All
I have tried to search the forums for answers but I wasn't successful.

Simple question: What replacement brake pads are people using ?

Seems to be a lot of mention about "OEM" pads which I assume are Honda. But I also assume there might be alternatives that improve stopping power.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Randy
'07 Goldwing ABS Nav

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Galfer... Very sticky, excellent performance with my big butt on the bike and fully loaded.

·
Registered
7,635 Posts
Whenever this question is discussed, the OEM pads seem to get the most 'votes'.

I've not had to change but it will be OEM when I do.

·
Registered
898 Posts
O.e.m.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
At 17K miles, my left front pads were worn out. Right front and rear still about 1/2 the pad material.

Read all the posts on pads. The aftermarket aren't that much cheaper, especially when some complain of short life and poor wet performance.

Will stick with OEM.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I tried some hi-zooting aftermarked pads because many on here claimed that they where the best thing since sliced bread!!!
But they REALLY REALLY REALLY sucked.
When I bitched on this forum the Mfg. sent me another set!!!
I thought that very nice but...
These also sucked just as bad as the first set.
I recomend that you don't screw around.
Buy OEM pads
I wish someone had given me that advice.

·
Registered
876 Posts
OEM I would rather change pads more often and rotors less often.:coffee1:

·
Registered
709 Posts
OEM is BEST!

·
Registered
364 Posts
OEM! I tried aftermarket and didn't like the noise or the drag. OEM cost a little more but well worth the money for me.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I've always used OEM pads on both my VAlkyrie Interstate (135,000 miles when I sold it) and on my Wing .. nothing better, wether cheaper OR more $$$ .. I change all the pads every 30,000 miles (don't always have to .. but do) and I have "never" had to have a rotar replaced or turned.
Stick to OEM .. you'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
246 Posts
EBC's

To each his own, I've been using EBC's on front, OEM's on the back for over nine years. 91000 miles I've only changed the rear pads once. Three times on the front. I like the EBC's. Just stick to sintered HH, they'll all stop ya!

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
Vesrah makes a very good pad for the Gl1800 and Direct Line Parts sells them as a set. I have been using them for 2 sets and I can't tell any additional rotor wear and they definately do have more "bite".
OEM are fine pads also, just be aware that there are others, some better, if you want to experiment. If Vesrah were not available, I would go to OEM, no problem.
Good Luck!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts