GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How tough is it to replace the brake pads? I am taking my bike in to get some new tires put on and asked the dealer how much extra they would charge to slap some brake pads on. I was shocked when he told 1.5 hrs labor. He said the bike is harder than most with the 3 calipers and said you have to clean everything plus be careful of fluid spillage. I would appreciate any help.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I'm still running the original brake pads in my 02, so I have no hands on information. However, I've changed pads in several 1500's and 1100's. If the front wheel is removed, it takes about 10 minutes to replace those pads. I have read that the rear pads on the 1800 can be changed is less time. I have no idea why your dealer would have to clean up any brake fluid, if it's properly done, there is no fluid loss. If the old pads have worn to the point that the fluid level was topped up, then the new pads would displace enough to require removing some of the old fluid. Perhaps he plans to change all the fluid at the same time?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I can easily change all 3 pairs on my 2002 in less than 45 minutes without removing a wheel.

·
Registered
114 Posts
You need to clean the pistons before pushing them back in, if not the crud on the pistons can cause the brakes to drag and wear out waaaaay prematurely. I use old brake fluid for this, does a great job and pretty easy to do. Also make sure you don't get any fluid on the plastic, as it will attack the plastic. You can do it, just take your time.

Harold

·
Registered
605 Posts
varider said:
How tough is it to replace the brake pads? I am taking my bike in to get some new tires put on and asked the dealer how much extra they would charge to slap some brake pads on. I was shocked when he told 1.5 hrs labor. He said the bike is harder than most with the 3 calipers and said you have to clean everything plus be careful of fluid spillage. I would appreciate any help.
Something does not sound right. Having both tires off it just does not seem like it would take and additional 1.5 hrs to do the pads. I just had all balls, brake pads and Stones installed and the total labor was 3 hrs 45 min. I found out something that I did not know and that was that (I think he said the front left side) pads wear out much faster than all the rest. Mine was almost down to the point that I could have damaged the rotor with only 38,000 miles. While the opposite set of pads was more than 50%
Go Figure!

Ride Safe
Dick

·
Registered
179 Posts
FREE LABOR ON MINE WHILE THE TIRES WERE CHANGED ! :D

·
Registered
269 Posts
It takes me about 5 minutes to change each set of pads. I have not been cleaning the pistons with each pad change. I can't even get to the pistons.
I have been through about 3 sets in 48,000 miles. My right front set wears slower than my left front and rear pads wear due to the way the linked braking system works. My pad change procedure is to very gently pry between the pad and the rotor with the old pad still installed. The pad pushs the three piston back into the brake housing together. I just unscrew the retension pin and very gently pry the pads apart so that all the pistons are pushed back into the caliper. I insert the piston side brake pad first, then I work in the pad on the opposite side in second. As I work the pad in, gently using it as a pry bar, it ussually finishes pushing the pistons further back into the caliper. It is important to use the pad to push back all the pistons so that all the pistons go back together. I clean and regrease the retension pin, install it, and I'm done.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Like everyone said...45 mins with the tires in place. With the tires off the bike should only be about 15 mins. The book most likely says 1.5 hrs for a brake job. At $60 an hour that hurts!

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
hillcityrider said:
You need to clean the pistons before pushing them back in, if not the crud on the pistons can cause the brakes to drag and wear out waaaaay prematurely. I use old brake fluid for this, does a great job and pretty easy to do. Also make sure you don't get any fluid on the plastic, as it will attack the plastic. You can do it, just take your time.

Harold
what he said !! Also if the pistons are cleaned "PROPERLY" it will take some time pretty close to 1.5 hrs !! These guys who just push the pistons back in are asking for trouble!!! Can it be done in 15 min. YES!! Can it be done RITE in 15 min.NO !!!!!!!!!! There are 6 pistons in the front calipers alone clean them with scotcbrite & flush with brake cleaner!! see how long it takes!!!! I have as I DO MY OWN...chuck

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
varider - if you are asking this question, I hope you have your Honda Service Manual on hand or you plan on getting one real quick. If you are contemplating on doing any of the maintenance (and actually even if you don't, but you want to be proactive on maintaining your Wing), it should always start with going through this manual so you know exactly what is involved and how it should be done. This manual has a wealth of information, photos and diagrams on just about everything you need to properly maintain your Wing. Now there are also a wealth of sites that have great information and photos on the 1800 too, but you might want to order the DVD set that was produced by Fred Harmon I would still have the Honda Service Manual for your Wing on hand any time you are working on it.
http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/root

DaleC

P.S. The job is pretty easy on the Wing and the Service Manual will help you.

·
Registered
839 Posts
takes about 30 minutes, did mine last month, took that long because the back caliper can be a pain due to the position of everything. remove the screw that holds the pads, push the pistons in put new pads in put screw back. If you clean the pistons all you need is brake pad cleaner, just spray in on to blow the dirt away from the pistons, its in a can like WD40. Its that easy, no scubbing required.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
These guys who just push the pistons back in are asking for trouble!!!
My brake pistons have "dust boots" that keep debri off of them, if they are not torn up use a little compressed air to blow them off, push the caliper in so the pistons seat this also moves the caliper on the slides so you know it is moving freely, then pull the rubber plug and remove the pin the pads will fall out, be sure to seat them correctly when replacing them and clean off the pin then screw it back in. Takes about 10 min per calpier. I just did a set last thursday nite. I didnt remove the front wheel but I did remove the rear while it was up on my lift.

I used the Galfer set this time around. They stop good and no noise as I get using EBCs. Be sure to "bed" them in, IE take it easy the first 100 miles or so. this lets the pads "conform" to the rotors as they are not "turned" and have slight variances in the surface the pad brakes on.

Be very careful about what you use on the calipers as some solvents will eat the boots off, then you will have problems. I also do not use any brake quite unless they make noise excessivly after swapping them out as this stuff can stick to the boot and cause it to tear open which is a bad thing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts