GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First set of pads I changed out at 23000 miles. They were worn out. Today I replaced the second set in the front at 43,000 miles. They had a lot of life left. I attribute this to less miles but also that I I started to downshift more aggressively (slightly) than the bike does after the first set of pads.

I also replaced front brake fluid and it was considerably darker in color than replacement fluid. I never have touched the covers or felt a need to inspect however the screws to the brake reservoir weren't tightened (no effort needed to begin spinning them out). The lid was on and looked tight but the screws were surprisingly NOT tight. Checked clutch side and they were as expected. The shiny surface that the lid seals against on the reservoir showed signs of seepage discoloration. Never any signs of leaks. I only mention screws as I should have checked them along time ago and wondered if others have a loose screw or two. lol

Added thought - I would have no idea how to change brake fluid if not for Fred's video collection. With two people, this is an easy job. I only did the front fluid as it was getting hot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
First set of pads I changed out at 23000 miles. They were worn out. Today I replaced the second set in the front at 43,000 miles. They had a lot of life left. I attribute this to less miles but also that I I started to downshift more aggressively (slightly) than the bike does after the first set of pads.

I also replaced front brake fluid and it was considerably darker in color than replacement fluid. I never have touched the covers or felt a need to inspect however the screws to the brake reservoir weren't tightened (no effort needed to begin spinning them out). The lid was on and looked tight but the screws were surprisingly NOT tight. Checked clutch side and they were as expected. The shiny surface that the lid seals against on the reservoir showed signs of seepage discoloration. Never any signs of leaks. I only mention screws as I should have checked them along time ago and wondered if others have a loose screw or two. lol

Added thought - I would have no idea how to change brake fluid if not for Fred's video collection. With two people, this is an easy job. I only did the front fluid as it was getting hot.
I can confirm without hesitation I do in fact have a screw loose. It’s lodged somewhere between my ears.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts