GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the average millage on the stock oem pads Iam approaching 10000 miles on my 06 ? on my triumph trophy 1200 I was schoked when I had to do my pads at 7500 miles thanks

2006 titanium

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had my stock pads replaced at about 50,000 miles if I remember correctly. Still had 1/2 left on the rear pad, about 10% on lft front pads, and about 20% on the rt front pads.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Seems about right, but depends on riding style. Some will have pads last 75000 miles, some cannot get 10000. Speed? Attitude? Passanger? Road conditions? Trailer? Maintenance conditions? Ya think maybe there might be a variable or two?

I changed mine at 40000 miles, just cause I was under the bike changing tires. Rears had lots left, left front was getting there. I also changed the fronts about 10000 miles later, when one side got fork oil all over the place.

A sure indication is when it becomes metal to metal, the brake pads are shot.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
My 02 - 1800 had 32k when I changed the brake pads.. still had some wear left on them.. guessing about 30% of original thickness left...

cosmic

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
30,000 on my '02...The rear pads were only about 1/2 used up. The front pads were worn differently. The left one was gone (should have been changed before this) and the right one was at the end of its life.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
45k on mine

45k on my brake pads now.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I replaced my pads at 43,000 miles. I could have gotten more out of them but one set, I forget which one was close to being used up and I was planning on puttine on some serious miles so I just replaced all three sets. That way I know where I am with them.

Ross

·
Vendor
2,337 Posts
I would guess the people getting really high miles do long freeway trips compared to folks who commute or do backroads and twisties.

Also, rider(s) load, and trailer.

Definitely some big differences in demands on the brakes.

I wouldn't recommend waiting until they are "used up".... 33% or less, I would change them. When the material gets thin, you get a lot more heat into the entire system, and the parts.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Any opinions on swapping pads around, saw on a previous post of someone doing that. Over 26k on my 04 and have a set of OEMs in stock but wanting to get the most out of my originals.
John

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just changed front pads on the front of 05 ABS, at 96,700 miles. Still had some life left but planning on joining the MTF group for the Mexico over the holidays trip to Copper Canyon, Mexico. Approximately 20,000 miles on EBC? pads. Got 80,000 on the originals. Checked rear, still original pads and only half used. Left them on. Lots of highway miles.

·
Registered
124 Posts
WINGONE said:
what is the average millage on the stock oem pads Iam approaching 10000 miles on my 06 ?
I replaced my front pads at 47,000 miles. There was enough meat on them that I am carrying them for emergency spares, but we were doing a front tire anyway.

The original rear pads are still there and going strong at 56,000.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
I wouldn't recommend waiting until they are "used up".... 33% or less, I would change them. When the material gets thin, you get a lot more heat into the entire system, and the parts.
Some just have to push the limits. Nothing like getting the last 500 miles out of a set of pads, and overrun it a little, then scoring the rotors, or not stopping. Xcuse me, I have to hang the recycled toilet paper out to dry...... :lol:

·
Registered
582 Posts
Change my front and rear pads @ 32,000 and 64,000, with OEM. Both times there was still plenty of pad left on all three sets.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I usually get about 20k miles out of them. I am on the side of replacing early. Max makes a good point about heat. I put on a new rear rotor last week with new pads. What a difference in the braking and they are very smooth and quite. I would say that I am pretty hard on my brakes in the mountains.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts